    researcher Guest

    Can I put USB plugs on a pair of Bose speakers and plug them into my
    Apple G5 computer.

    researcher, Apr 10, 2009

  2. Yes, but it won't do anything worthwhile.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 11, 2009

  3. researcher

    E Z Peaces Guest

    I haven't heard of USB with analog audio. I plug an iMic d/a converter
    into my Mac's USB. That changes digital to analog audio. I use stereo
    patch cords to take the audio from the iMic to an amplifier, which
    powers my speakers.

    E Z Peaces, Apr 11, 2009
  4. researcher

    Don Bruder Guest

    Back around '01/'02 or thereabouts, Microsoft put out what they called
    the "DSS-80" sound system.

    Inputs were USB and stereo 1/8th inch jacks. I used them with my
    PowerMac 7500 for years by simply jumping from the stereo out on the
    machine to the stereo in on the speakers. Then I switched up to my G4
    with a big cat. The DSS has been connected to the G4 with a USB cable
    ever since - the stereo input has been empty since a week or so after
    moving up to the G4 and changing to the USB hookup.

    No D/A converters, no fancy anything, just "plug in the USB cable on
    each end and it works". (Er, well, before it started working, I had to
    choose the speaker system - which was correctly and fully identified by
    a "no extras" install of X 10.3 - as the output device in the sound tab
    of system preferences)

    Don Bruder, Apr 11, 2009
  5. researcher

    Nick Naym Guest

    LOL! (You took the words right out of my mouth!)

    Nick Naym, Apr 11, 2009
  6. researcher

    E Z Peaces Guest

    It appears to me that the DSS-80 includes an amplifier and converter.
    It's possible that the OP's Bose system includes a converter, in which
    case he could get sound from his USB.

    E Z Peaces, Apr 11, 2009
  7. researcher

    David Guest

    NOT a good idea - effectively you are putting a heavy load onto your USB
    system (depending the impedance up to 1.25 amps), and I doubt it would
    cope too well. You certainly will not get them to play music etc by
    doing this

    David

    David, Apr 11, 2009
  8. researcher

    Bernard Peek Guest

    In message
    Depending on which pins of the USB plugs you use this will either do
    nothing or will blow up the speakers.

    Bernard Peek, Apr 13, 2009