    missing ram between 3-4GB. I guess it just finds it not worth the
    effort. 64-bit Windows will remap it and use it though.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 4, 2008

  2. Yea, I have PAE enabled in the mb and it still shows only 3GB of 4GB in XP.

    Rat River Cemetary, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Daniel G.

    L Alpert Guest

    I have a 512mb video card and XP shows 3.5 GB of memory.....must be
    differences in hardware configurations....

    L Alpert, May 4, 2008
  4. Daniel G.

    Lee Waun Guest

    Xp sees 3.25GB out of 4GB on my system.

    Lee Waun, May 10, 2008
  5. Daniel G.

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Interesting that you should mention this, I just took a look again and
    now my system is showing 3.25GB too. I assume this has something to do
    with the fact that I just installed a GeForce 8600GT into my system,
    whereas previously I was using integrated graphics.

    Also goes to show that discrete graphics frees up more memory for you
    than integrated graphics.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 11, 2008
  6. Daniel G.

    Lee Waun Guest

    Y present card has 512mb but the card before that had 256mb and my system
    also showed 3.25gb. I bought the 4 gigs so I could upgrade to vista 64 but
    it was so bad an OS I went back to XP. I clearly don't see my trying Vista
    again now that my system is XP service pack 3.

    Lee Waun, May 11, 2008
  7. Daniel G.

    YKhan Guest

    Yeah, I don't think the video ram actually takes up much system ram
    footprint. The video ram is slid through the system ram footprint, in
    small chunks, through a fixed-size graphics aperture.

    As for why I got 4GB, I simply got it because it was on sale. :)

    I put in Ubuntu as my 64-bit OS, and I'm occasionally dual-booting
    into it.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, May 12, 2008