    all on this, I just didn't want the whole thing to go to waste. If
    you know of a way to do this, or have some links or anything, please
    tell me. Thanks.

    zach-564, Aug 10, 2007

  2. zach-564

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    The short (and easy) answer is "no".

    Laptop displays are digitally driven and everyone has a different
    approach to hooking them up and sending the signals to put a picture
    on the screen. By comparison, most desktop computers still use analog
    signals to drive an attached display.

    If (big if) your desktop computer has a digital display output option
    (such as DVI) and you can figure out the pinout of the laptop display
    panel, you might be able to get it working. You'll also need a power
    supply for the backlight tube. You'll need to get a data sheet for the
    display panel, have some test equipment to help you reverse engineer
    things, and some luck won't hurt.

    If the laptop's major functional components and internals work
    properly, you might try selling it on eBay for parts or repair. It
    might bring more than you'd think, and that money could go to buying a
    nice flat panel display that will work with your computer.

    William

    wm_walsh, Aug 10, 2007

  3. zach-564

    robertharvey Guest

    It has been done, usually by clever people writing in German for
    Elektor magazine. The interface to flat panel screens is relatively
    standardised, and with the aid of some line driver/receiver chips and
    a custom cable it should be possible to connect to DVI if not VGA.

    By the time you have sourced the parts, worked out how to do it,
    fabricated a stand, sorted out the power supply it starts to look less
    like a money saving exercise and more like an engineering challenge.

    When prices are as low as this: http://www.new-monitors.co.uk/fulldetail.asp?ID=162
    and with second hand flat screens going for as little as 30quid at
    computer fairs, it hardly seems worth it.

    robertharvey, Aug 11, 2007