    The clue challenged syndrome is not limited to India, China, and
    neighbors by any means. It is most prevalent in the young who have
    just discovered Usenet.

    CBFalconer, Mar 30, 2007

  2. I can relate to your sentiments.

    By far the thing that annoys me the most is that it is blatantly obvious
    that they have absolutely no interest in learning anything - even just
    enough to get them through the degree before they take a job selling
    Cisco routers. It even extends as far as not being willing to even
    understand what it is that they're _not_ learning!

    I came across a few like this when I was doing my uni degree. They
    freely admitted that they weren't the slightest bit interested in
    learning anything taught in the course, and had no shame asking for
    copies of tutorial works and assignments - spending the first half of
    the lecture copying them out by hand, and then promptly leaving!

    And yes, one of them did go on to sell Cisco routers. What a waste of an
    engineering degree - even sadder when you think of who may have missed
    out on a place because of them...

    As for those 'engineers' that claim they have been given a task by their
    boss, yet are clearly incapable of grasping the fundamental concepts
    behind the problem and ask for "urgent help plz" (help often equating to
    source code) - they're either complete liars or work for a company that
    I would hope I never buy a product from.

    Regards,

    Mark McDougall, Mar 30, 2007

  3. What they've discovered is Google Groups. They have no clue
    what Usenet is. :/

    Grant Edwards, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Grant Edwards

    John Perry Guest

    Hell, it's easy. Just go to one of the local "hi-tech" employers and
    grab a couple of H-1B's. One will likely be this sort. My last couple
    of "permanent" jobs were spent in substantial part fixing their
    elementary mistakes, until my $70K salary became too big for the local
    employers.

    (and, yes, there were good H-1B's, too.)

    John Perry

    John Perry, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Grant Edwards

    Tom Lucas Guest

    Think yourself lucky! I shall consider it a major milestone in my career
    when a complete stranger searches me out and decides I might be the one
    to solve his problem.

    Of course, the shine will have gone by the third request and the tenth
    might well have seen the novelty worn off completely...

    Tom Lucas, Mar 30, 2007
  6. I almost do not get emails like these because I am paranoid about
    protecting my email address(es), but it is a growing source of
    irritation in the usenet groups and mailing lists I read.

    Please accept my apologies for quoting myself: (The whole thread was
    "Shooting ourselves in the foot" in c.a.e, January 2006)

    .... I wish there was a way to weed
    out the type of "professionals" that seem to
    be appearing more and more often in the
    newsgroups I frequent, with posts along the
    lines of:

    Hi group!! I'm a surgeon and will
    be performing open chest surgery
    on one of my patients tomorrow.
    I have a few questions:
    What is an hemorrhage, when do
    you use it?
    What is a suture?
    What is coagulation,
    What is an antibiotic?
    What is anesthesia, do you implant
    it before or after the coagulation?
    Where exactly is the heart?
    Can you help me? Please email
    the answer directly to the
    operating room.

    Yes, I am exaggerating.
    No, I am not exaggerating a lot.

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]

    Roberto Waltman, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Grant Edwards

    Tim Wescott Guest

    As a culture, we (the US, Canada, and I suspect most other western
    European cultures) have brought ourselves to the point where you can't
    get a job selling those Cisco routers _without_ a college degree. It's
    a pity, because there are a lot of kinds of competent that don't require
    a degree, and as you pointed out the frat boys who are just there for
    the piece of paper crowd out kids with less drive/money/parental influence.

    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    Tim Wescott, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Grant Edwards

    Chris Hills Guest

    I am not sure what a "frat boy" is but I get the idea I think.

    However life is all about fighting for survival. So loosing those with
    less drive is just the way it goes. If they are helped over this fence
    they will fall at the next. It is natures way.

    However money and parental influence should not have any bearing on
    getting a degree. The problem is that these days in the UK you need (a
    lot of) money to be able to afford to go to university that or have no
    money and the state pays.

    So the rich can afford to go, the poor are assisted to go. The middle
    class who traditionally used to go: pay more taxes to pay for the poor
    kids and therefore can't afford to send their own kids.

    Bloody ridiculous.

    Chris Hills, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Grant Edwards

    Tim Wescott Guest

    -- snip --
    Hmm. Fraternal student organizations? "Greeks"? You don't have them,
    or they don't have the reputation over there as over here?

    At any rate, they're supposed to be self-help societies to help kids do
    well in school. Some of them actually are. Others are drinking and
    cheating clubs, dedicated to getting one through school with the least
    amount of effort. They're nearly ubiquitous at some private
    universities in the US, to the point where unaffiliated students are
    viewed as being odd -- saying "I don't belong to a fraternity" when
    asked at such schools is like saying "oh, I crawled out from under a
    rock" when asked one's birthday.

    Tim Wescott, Mar 30, 2007
  10. Grant Edwards

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Quite simply, that's because higher education is *too big* now. The HE
    sector in the UK has probably doubled in size since I got my degree,
    and that's not quite 20 years ago. There aren't that many graduate
    calibre jobs around. It's now reached the point where it must be
    unreasonable for a new graduate, unless s/he offers either outstanding
    intellect or specific vocational skills, can expect a job that was
    "graduate calibre" a generation before.

    pete

    Pete Fenelon, Mar 30, 2007
  11. Grant Edwards

    rickman Guest

    Sounds to me like someone with a little spirit of free enterprise
    could take a summary of all the best postings to C.A.E and turn it
    into a book! It could be called "The Best of C.A.E". But then you
    would have to give it away to meet the needs of the market discussed
    above!

    rickman, Mar 30, 2007
  12. Grant Edwards

    Phillip Guest

    Or, not so long ago :

    hello......
    i m employ of kobian electronics.................
    i have get aproject of adsl modem
    please give me the guidness about it that how can i make it...........
    and programming is necessary in it...............
    which ic is better olease tell me

    Yes, 'Kobian', remember that name!

    Phillip, Mar 31, 2007
  13. The current U.S. president is an example of a frat boy.
    Draw your own conclusions.

    Everett M. Greene, Mar 31, 2007
  14. Grant Edwards

    Chris Hills Guest

    It this an example of getting a degree by money and connections and no
    academic skill at all?

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007
  15. Grant Edwards

    Donald Guest

    Like Bill Gates ???

    Donald, Apr 1, 2007
  16. Grant Edwards

    larwe Guest

    You ask this semi-rhetorical question in language that implies a
    belief that "academic skill" is a measure of something useful. The
    value of an engineer, or a president, is measured in concrete
    accomplishments. It's not clear how academic skill would be a good
    predictor of presidential accomplishments.

    larwe, Apr 1, 2007
  17. Grant Edwards

    Chris Hills Guest

    I don't know his history that well. Did he not earn his initial degree
    himself?

    BTW most powerful people get conferred honorary degrees

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007
  18. larwe wrote:

    This is a measure of diligence, which is one of the parameters of the
    usefulness.

    The
    The lack of the academic degree is typically the indication of not
    persevere or a lazy person. Of course, there can be different situations
    in the life, but this is the most usual.

    Vladimir Vassilevsky

    DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

    http://www.abvolt.com

    Vladimir Vassilevsky, Apr 1, 2007
  19. Grant Edwards

    larwe Guest

    On Apr 1, 1:41 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky
    Statistically speaking, the lack of any specific level of academic
    achievement (reading+writing+arithmetic, high school diploma,
    undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree) is, in the vast majority of
    cases, due to a lack of access. For tertiary education, particularly
    postgrad, this is the case even in "progressive" first-world
    countries.

    Even if we artificially restrict the discussion to wealthy children in
    urban areas of first-world countries who do not need to work (through
    all the time up to approx. 20 years old) in order to feed their
    extended family, it would require a large semantic leap - a charitable
    way of saying "make the facts fit the belief" - to characterize all
    those who do not receive at least an undergraduate degree as lazy or
    lacking perseverance.

    It's likely you were basing your statement on the actualities of some
    fantasy universe of which you are the sole denizen, as has been the
    case in many other threads here in c.a.e. I think werty lives in the
    same universe, though I suspect he's posting from an insane asylum.

    larwe, Apr 1, 2007
  20. larwe wrote:

    No, my dear friend. You see, the lack of anything is first of all the
    lack of desire or will to apply an effort to receive that. This is
    especially true in the so-called "first world" countries, where the
    rivers are literally made of milk and chocolate.

    You are too spoiled with the good life. The education is not something
    that one can have for granted. Knowledge is power only if it was gained
    by the effort. You should strive for it.
    Go to the army, earn money some other way. That should not be a problem
    for a smart person with a dedication. BTW, quite many people did that.

    it would require a large semantic leap - a charitable
    I am not saying "All". I am saying "Most".
    Problems with the admission of the bitter truth, huh?
    Do you have to say anything else?

    Vladimir Vassilevsky, Apr 1, 2007