    Chris Hills Guest

    With GWB as an example we can show that being thick does not make you a
    good president.

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Regardless of whether academic skill is a good predictor of
    presidential accomplishments, academic skill is what is
    supposedly required to get a graduate degree from a major
    University. Even if "W" had great presidential
    accomplishments, I doubt many would argue he has the academic
    skills expected of one with a graduate degree from Harvard.

    Grant Edwards, Apr 1, 2007

  3. What initial degree?

    AFAICT, all "Jr" has is an honorary degree. Bill Gates Sr. has
    both a BA and law degree from the University of Washington.
    Correct. It's a measure of how much money the University wants
    from you.

    Grant Edwards, Apr 1, 2007
  4. I guess I'm lucky. The few I get are actually usually somewhat detailed
    and appear to be from people who have just gotten stuck on a particular
    point.

    I do however get an occaisional request to provide quotes for chips.
    Something like

    Dear Valued supplier

    You show in your Web-Site the item: maxim

    Please quote 215 pcs of MAX6650EUB+

    D/C?

    L/T?

    Please indicate the status of this item: new? refurbished? how many pcs
    you have...

    Robert

    Robert Adsett, Apr 1, 2007
  5. I must admit I have never gotten requests like that.

    I am, however, going to be able to retire as soon as I get my
    10% cut from a large financial transaction involving an
    ex-government-official from Nigeria....

    Grant Edwards, Apr 1, 2007
  6. Grant Edwards

    larwe Guest

    Well, that's self-evident.

    However I do believe GWB earned his u/grad history degree (from Yale,
    in '68, with a 2.35/4.00 grade point average and not a single A). The
    Harvard MBA was awarded in '75, which seems to predate GWB being
    famous; he was merely rich at the time.

    'Splain to me what value can be placed on academic "achievement" if a
    man can earn these two qualifications through canonical methods and
    yet still be virtually incoherent, narrow-minded and egotistical to
    the point of appearing mentally deficient.

    larwe, Apr 1, 2007
  7. Grant Edwards

    CBFalconer Guest

    Well, an example of the relative utility of such connections, as
    compared to innate intelligence and ability.

    CBFalconer, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Grant Edwards

    Chris Hills Guest

    It reflects very badly on the institute where he obtained his degrees.

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007
  9. I suppose he wasn't "famous" in the Brittney Spears sense, but
    his fater had been in congress, an ambassador to the UN, cheif
    of something-or-other in the US mission to the RoC, chairman of
    the RNC, and was about to be appointed as director of the CIA.
    His grandfather was also a senator for 10 years. His
    great-grandfather was at one time president of the USGA. You've
    perhaps heard of the "Walker Cup"? Well that's what the "W" in
    GHWB and GWB stands for.

    Frat boys like "W" don't have to learn anything to get degrees.
    That was the point of the crack about him being an example of a
    "frat boy". An example of somebody with connections who is
    able to graduate with without actually learning anything or
    possessing any academic skills.

    In many circles, frats are viewed as a way for the rich and
    connected to avoid actually learning anything or meeting
    anybody different than themselves while in college.

    Grant Edwards, Apr 2, 2007