    folder and it was retained when I upgraded. Otherwise the entire user
    Library is hidden.

    Getting to dislike this Lion more and more.

    M-M, Jul 21, 2011

  2. After using the Go menu to open the user's Library folder, you can then
    drag the folder's small icon in the title bar to the Dock, the Tool Bar, or
    the Side Bar.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011

  3. Or you can go into the Finder Preferences and make changes that will
    make it look more similar to what you've seen before.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  4. What changes?

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011
  5. M-M

    Alan Browne Guest

    I assume you mean ~/Library ?

    Can I make an alias to the user library and keep that and use it to
    access the hidden Library?

    Could one remove the "." and make it visible again?

    Alan Browne, Jul 21, 2011
  6. After using the Go menu to open the user's Library folder, you can then
    drag the folder's small icon in the title bar to the Dock, the Tool Bar,
    or the Side Bar.[/QUOTE]

    And Mac OS Hints had this suggestion:

    chflags nohidden ~/Library

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011
  7. A simple one that gets you a peek at all your directories is to change
    Finder -->preferences --> Sidebar --> and add items to show like devices
    add the Hard disk.

    Then you can open the hard disk and all its directory structure is there
    for your perusing.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  8. M-M

    Suze Guest

    If you need to get to your user Library, click on Go in the Finder menu
    bar and hold down the option key. You'll see the Library in the drop
    down list.

    Suze, Jul 21, 2011
  9. M-M

    M-M Guest

    That does not work in 10.7

    M-M, Jul 21, 2011
  10. M-M

    M-M Guest

    We have a winner!!

    M-M, Jul 21, 2011
  11. But first you have to open the Library folder with the Go menu. Then you
    can drag it to the side bar. You don't need to use Finder Preferences at
    all.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011
  12. I didn't use the Go menu at all when I set my finder box the way I
    wanted it.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  13. Sure is on my 10.7

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  14. But in order to display the user's library folder in Lion, you have to use
    the Go menu one time, unless you had set up the side bar before installing
    Lion. And this discussion is targeted towards people who had not set it up
    before installing Lion.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011
  15. I won't argue with you, but I didn't use the Go menu at all until after
    I had set finder (not system) preferences the way I wanted them. I only
    looked at the Go menu after I read it here.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  16. M-M

    M-M Guest

    I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

    I believe you are referring to the Finder Preferences.

    The discussion involves access to the user's Preference folder which
    resides in the user's Library folder which is now hidden in Lion.

    M-M, Jul 21, 2011
  17. Yes, I am.

    And I am giving the alternative method to get the user's library folder
    to show as well as all directories to show.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 21, 2011
  18. Maybe we are making things way too difficult. Try this in terminal:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library
    That should unhide the library or any other folder you type in. Using
    "hidden" will hide the folder. This was posted on Mac OSX Hints today.

    Justan Oldfart, Jul 21, 2011
  19. M-M

    M-M Guest

    Perfect!

    M-M, Jul 21, 2011
  20. Yeah, I already posted that hint here this morning.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2011