    | |o o| |
    A song (i/wa)s playing on this computer: Interactive - Forever Young
    (Red Jerry Mix)

    Ant, May 17, 2014

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and Find My Mac enabled?

    Ant <> wrote:

    >http://www.osnews.com/story/27734/iTunes_11_2_update_hides_Users_folder
    >_on_OS_X
    >
    > from http://www.osnews.com/comments/27734
    >
    > Is anyone else seeing this? I am scared to upgrade iTunes in Mac OS X
    > 10.8.5. :/

    There is no reason to be "scared".

    If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,
    or navigating up to /Users from your home folder, or by using Go to
    Folder in Finder, or by adding the folder in question to your Finder
    sidebar.

    I tested upgrading to iTunes 11.2 on a Mac running 10.8.5 with Find my
    Mac enabled and the /Users folder was NOT hidden. I restarted to
    double-check and it was still OK.

    Unless there is yet another factor involved, it appears that the hiding
    of the Users folder is a bug which only affects Mavericks. I've seen
    reports so far of people encountering it when running OS X 10.9.2 and
    10.9.3.

    The solution is easy enough: disable Find my Mac until Apple releases a
    fix for this bug.

    If your /Users and /Users/Shared folders have already been hidden by
    this bug, then you can make them visible again by:

    1. In System Preferences > iCloud, disable "Find my Mac". (This bug has
    nothing to do with "Back to my Mac".)

    2. Try using Disk Utility to do a Repair Disk Permissions on your
    startup volume.

    3. If that doesn't work, then the following commands in Terminal will
    restore the normal visibility and permissions.

    sudo chflags nohidden /Users /Users/Shared
    sudo chmod 755 /Users
    sudo chmod 1777 /Users/Shared

    (Step 1 is necessary. If you have iTunes 11.2 installed and Find my Mac
    enabled on Mavericks, then these folders will be hidden and their
    permissions modified again each time you restart the computer.)

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 17, 2014

  3. Ant

    David Empson <> wrote:

    > Ant <> wrote:
    >

    > >http://www.osnews.com/story/27734/iTunes_11_2_update_hides_Users_folder
    > >_on_OS_X
    > >
    > > from http://www.osnews.com/comments/27734
    > >
    > > Is anyone else seeing this? I am scared to upgrade iTunes in Mac OS X
    > > 10.8.5. :/

    > There is no reason to be "scared".
    >
    > If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    > public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    > is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,
    > or navigating up to /Users from your home folder, or by using Go to
    > Folder in Finder, or by adding the folder in question to your Finder
    > sidebar.
    >
    > I tested upgrading to iTunes 11.2 on a Mac running 10.8.5 with Find my
    > Mac enabled and the /Users folder was NOT hidden. I restarted to
    > double-check and it was still OK.

    Update: Apple has just released iTunes 11.2.1, which apparently fixes
    this bug, so no need to be scared at all.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 17, 2014
  4. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-17 00:33, David Empson wrote:

    > If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    > public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    > is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,

    hiding a folder is security by obscurity and adds no security.

    The question is: what the h_ll is an application meddling with root
    level directories ? Upgrading itunes should only mess with what is
    inside /Applications/iTunes and in /Library for whatever frameworks it
    provides.

    JF Mezei, May 17, 2014
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and FindMy Mac enabled?

    On 5/16/2014 9:43 PM PT, David Empson typed:
    > Update: Apple has just released iTunes 11.2.1, which apparently fixes
    > this bug, so no need to be scared at all.

    I just got an e-mail notification from Apple's security mailing list.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5434 ... Nice.
    --
    "Whence we see spiders, flies, or ants entombed and preserved forever in
    amber, a more than royal tomb." --Sir Francis Bacon in Historia Vitæ et

    Ant, May 17, 2014
  6. Ant

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 05:40:33 +0000, JF Mezei said:

    > On 14-05-17 00:33, David Empson wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    >> public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    >> is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,

    > hiding a folder is security by obscurity and adds no security.
    >
    > The question is: what the h_ll is an application meddling with root
    > level directories ? Upgrading itunes should only mess with what is
    > inside /Applications/iTunes and in /Library for whatever frameworks it
    > provides.

    Someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen.

    My best guess about the nature of the mistake would be a space in a
    unix command that was intended to hide some other folder, so that
    "chflags hidden /Users/<something>/<something>" became "chflags hidden
    /Users /<something>/<something>"

    Alan Baker, May 17, 2014
  7. Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and Find My Mac enabled?

    In article <>,
    Ant <> wrote:

    > http://www.osnews.com/story/27734/iTunes_11_2_update_hides_Users_folder_on_OS_
    > from http://www.osnews.com/comments/27734
    >
    > Is anyone else seeing this? I am scared to upgrade iTunes in Mac OS X
    > 10.8.5. :/

    install iTunes 11.2.1 then that was released as a fix for the issue on
    May 16th

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --
    MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
    EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

    Andreas Rutishauser, May 17, 2014
  8. Ant

    Alan Baker <> wrote:

    > On 2014-05-17 05:40:33 +0000, JF Mezei said:
    >
    > > On 14-05-17 00:33, David Empson wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    > >> public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    > >> is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,

    > > hiding a folder is security by obscurity and adds no security.
    > >
    > > The question is: what the h_ll is an application meddling with root
    > > level directories ? Upgrading itunes should only mess with what is
    > > inside /Applications/iTunes and in /Library for whatever frameworks it
    > > provides.

    The iTunes installer puts things in /Library, /System, /Applications and
    also does some stuff in /Users/Shared.

    > Someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen.
    >
    > My best guess about the nature of the mistake would be a space in a
    > unix command that was intended to hide some other folder, so that
    > "chflags hidden /Users/<something>/<something>" became "chflags hidden
    > /Users /<something>/<something>"

    That was my theory as well.

    I had a look inside the installer packages for iTunes 11.2 and 11.2.1.
    The 11.2.1 postinstall script fixes the permissions and hidden folders
    errors, but I didn't spot what was triggering the problem in 11.2,
    especially how it was interacting with Find my Mac or recurring on each
    restart (which suggests it was being done by something installed which
    runs at system startup or login).

    The only difference I spotted in the installed files (apart from version
    numbers) was a change in size of
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 17, 2014
  9. Ant

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.17, 01:45 , Ant wrote:
    > On 5/16/2014 9:43 PM PT, David Empson typed:
    >> Update: Apple has just released iTunes 11.2.1, which apparently fixes
    >> this bug, so no need to be scared at all.

    > I just got an e-mail notification from Apple's security mailing list.
    > http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5434 ... Nice.

    Why do sentences like

    "... might appear to be missing after ..."

    seem so inane to me?

    --
    "Big data can reduce anything to a single number,
    but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude."

    Alan Browne, May 17, 2014
  10. Ant

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Tom Stiller, May 17, 2014
  11. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and FindMy Mac enabled?

    In message <>
    Ant <> wrote:
    > http://www.osnews.com/story/27734/iTunes_11_2_update_hides_Users_folder_on_OS_X
    > from http://www.osnews.com/comments/27734

    > Is anyone else seeing this? I am scared to upgrade iTunes in Mac OS X
    > 10.8.5. :/

    Why? A hidden /User folder will not affect you in the slightest.

    My /System /Library and /Users folders are all marked hidden, so when I
    look at the 'root' of my drive, all that is there is the /Applications
    folder.

    This has no effect on how I use the computer.

    --
    I never read much; I have something else to do.

    Lewis, May 17, 2014
  12. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-17 12:02, Lewis wrote:

    > Why? A hidden /User folder will not affect you in the slightest.

    The part I am uncomfortable with is an application that messes with
    stuff outside of the application areas without telling you.

    BTW, iTunes still keeps installing an incompatible AppleUSBEthernet.kext
    for Snow Leopard. So with each itunes updates, one has to go out and
    mess with the system files to reinstall an older version that works.

    JF Mezei, May 17, 2014
  13. Ant

    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > On 14-05-17 12:02, Lewis wrote:
    > >
    > > Why? A hidden /User folder will not affect you in the slightest.

    > The part I am uncomfortable with is an application that messes with
    > stuff outside of the application areas without telling you.

    iTunes is more than just an application. It has several system-level
    components to support iOS devices, non-iOS iPods, other applications
    integrating with iTunes, and interaction with the iTunes Store.

    > BTW, iTunes still keeps installing an incompatible AppleUSBEthernet.kext
    > for Snow Leopard. So with each itunes updates, one has to go out and
    > mess with the system files to reinstall an older version that works.

    Have you filed a bug report about it yet?

    I'm looking forward to the hue and cry that will happen in a few months
    when Apple releases iOS 8 along with a new version of iTunes which will
    be required to manage or sync with devices running iOS 8.

    Assuming the historic pattern holds (and I see no reason why it
    wouldn't), that version of iTunes won't support Snow Leopard at all.

    Those who are sticking with Snow Leopard indefinitely will need to stop
    buying new iOS devices, and for existing devices either lose the ability
    to sync them with the Mac, or not update them to iOS 8 or later (which
    will expose them to known security issues, since Apple won't release
    further iOS 7 updates for devices able to upgrade to iOS 8).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 18, 2014
  14. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and FindMy Mac enabled?

    In message <5377c710$0$1278$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > On 14-05-17 12:02, Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >> Why? A hidden /User folder will not affect you in the slightest.

    > The part I am uncomfortable with is an application that messes with
    > stuff outside of the application areas without telling you.

    iTunes is no more an Application than Safari or QuickTime, they are
    required parts of the Operating system that install much more than just
    an .app bundle.

    --
    'It's always a good thing to let a few tales spread, you know. Pour
    encouragy le-poor encoura-to make everyone sit up and damn well take

    Lewis, May 18, 2014
  15. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-17 21:17, Lewis wrote:

    > iTunes is no more an Application than Safari or QuickTime, they are
    > required parts of the Operating system that install much more than just
    > an .app bundle.

    Yet, it is "packaged" as an application (also avaialble on Windows) and
    they don't really document all the system level changes installing a
    minor new version of the itunes application does.

    JF Mezei, May 18, 2014
  16. Ant

    Alan Browne <> writes:

    > > http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5434

    > Why do sentences like
    >
    > "... might appear to be missing after ..."
    >
    > seem so inane to me?

    Because they are. Better to say what the problem
    actually is. Apple have been improving with this
    but they are obviously not yet finished.

    Billy Y..
    --
    sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
    add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

    , May 18, 2014
  17. Ant

    JF Mezei <> writes:

    > BTW, iTunes still keeps installing an incompatible AppleUSBEthernet.kext
    > for Snow Leopard. So with each itunes updates, one has to go out and
    > mess with the system files to reinstall an older version that works.

    I am reminded of CUPS in the days of OS 10.3 and 10.4.

    Billy Y..
    --
    sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
    add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

    , May 18, 2014
  18. Ant

    J Burns Guest

    On 5/18/14, 4:11 PM, wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> writes:
    >
    >>> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5434

    >> Why do sentences like
    >>
    >> "... might appear to be missing after ..."
    >>
    >> seem so inane to me?

    > Because they are. Better to say what the problem
    > actually is. Apple have been improving with this
    > but they are obviously not yet finished.
    >
    > Billy Y..

    I'll have to side with Apple on this one. They aren't missing but might
    appear to be missing.

    J Burns, May 18, 2014
  19. Re: Users folder being hidden with iTunes 11.2 installed and Find My Mac enabled?

    On 2014-05-17 05:40:33 +0000, JF Mezei said:

    > On 14-05-17 00:33, David Empson wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    >> public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is
    >> hidden, it
    >> is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the
    >> folder,

    > hiding a folder is security by obscurity and adds no security.
    >
    > The question is: what the h_ll is an application meddling with root
    > level directories ? Upgrading itunes should only mess with what is
    > inside /Applications/iTunes and in /Library for whatever frameworks
    > it
    > provides.

    >Someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen.

    Yeah, and you were your parents biggest mistake.

    Puffin Killer, May 19, 2014
  20. Ant

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-19 20:59:37 +0000, Puffin Killer said:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:ll6u3m$qb4$...
    >
    > On 2014-05-17 05:40:33 +0000, JF Mezei said:
    >
    >> On 14-05-17 00:33, David Empson wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you have a specific need to access /Users/Shared, or the home or
    >>> public folder of other user accounts, then even if /Users is hidden, it
    >>> is easily worked around, e.g. by creating a symbolic link to the folder,

    >> hiding a folder is security by obscurity and adds no security.
    >>
    >> The question is: what the h_ll is an application meddling with root
    >> level directories ? Upgrading itunes should only mess with what is
    >> inside /Applications/iTunes and in /Library for whatever frameworks it
    >> provides.

    >> Someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen.

    > Yeah, and you were your parents biggest mistake.

    LOL

    Alan Baker, May 20, 2014