Using a Dell OEM XP Pro disk to do an upgrade from Dell OEM XP Home

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Art Vandelay, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Art Vandelay

    Art Vandelay Guest

    Here's the situation:

    (All disks are SP2)

    One of our Dell desktops was seriously messed up with malware, viruses, etc.,
    and we decided it would be easier to just reinstall XP Pro. However, one of
    my co-workers used the wrong Dell OEM disk for the reinstall: he used an XP
    Home OEM disk from another Dell that we own, rather than the Dell XP Pro
    OEM disk that came with the computer in question. He also reinstalled a huge
    number of applications, settings, data, etc.

    I have seen it stated in many forums on the Web that an OEM XP Pro disk can
    not be used to do an upgrade - it can only be used to do a full install.
    However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try using the Dell XP Pro OEM disk to do
    an upgrade from Home to Pro because the worst thing that could happen would
    be that it wouldn't work and we would have to start from the beginning, and the
    best thing that could happen would be that it would work and we wouldn't have
    to reinstall all the applications, settings, data, etc., all over again.

    So I started the installation on the XP Pro CD-ROM disk from within XP Home
    and it gave me an option to do an Upgrade install and I proceeded with that.
    After a rather long install and a reboot, the installation was complete. The
    applications all seem intact, the data is all there, under My Computer /
    Properties it says "Windows XP Professional", I can turn off simple file
    sharing, etc.

    My questions are:
    Is this going to be a stable, reliable, XP Pro installation?
    and
    Is there any way to test it to make sure everything is OK an XP Pro is
    correctly installed?

    Art V.

    Art Vandelay, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Art Vandelay

    Andrew Guest

    <snip>

    : My questions are:
    : Is this going to be a stable, reliable, XP Pro installation?

    Sounds like it. These OEM disks are tied to the BIOS so perhaps it
    just recognized the BIOS as a valid one for this version of the CD.

    : and
    : Is there any way to test it to make sure everything is OK an XP Pro is
    : correctly installed?

    Sure, try downloading and installing some Windows software from their
    website. E.g. XP Power Toys. Last night I did that and it forced me
    to install an applet that would make sure my copy of XP was legal.
    Google for XP Power Toys and install one or two and you should see the
    same thing. If you are able to continue you are probably good to go.
    Oh, Windows Update may do the same thing.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Art Vandelay

    Tom Scales Guest

    I think you're fine. Worse case, you have to reinstall :)

    Tom Scales, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Art Vandelay

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go thru the usual nonsense of applying all the fixes, patches, bandaids, rubber
    bands, and tissue paper from the Windows Update web site. Along the way,
    "Windows Genuine Advantage" validation will install, and check to see that your
    install of Windows is legit. Whose advantage, BTW?

    Because the Dell CDs are keyed to a Dell BIOS, you should be in good shape.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Art Vandelay

    Art Vandelay Guest