    anti-glare screen would solve this problem? I've never had one, I
    wouldn't mind spending the money but only if they really work.

    Thanks!

    David Van, Aug 26, 2004

  2. David Van

    Good Man Guest

    (David Van) wrote in @posting.google.com:

    most notebooks let you control the screen brightness... not sure who your
    laptop manufacturer is, but on Acer's and some others, you use a function
    key and arrows to control increase/decrease of brightness..... read you
    manual, i'm betting it's there.

    anti-glare will not do anything really for your laptop screen outside....

    Good Man, Aug 26, 2004

  3. David Van

    Quaoar Guest

    A beach umbrella located behind the screen to block the background glare
    in your eyes will work. It's largely the comparative intensities of the
    background and the screen that make reading the screen difficult. Note
    that direct sunlight on a screen can cause the LCD and computer itself
    to overheat. The LCD can change colors, blotch out, etc., so shielding
    both your eyes and the computer with a large umbrella is wise.

    Quaoar, Aug 26, 2004
  4. David Van

    Aaron Propst Guest

    just don't go outside.
    that's what the rest of us geeks do.

    Aaron Propst, Aug 28, 2004
  5. David Van

    Howard Chu Guest

    I've found that if you can angle the screen right, you can turn off the
    backlight and just let the sunlight illuminate it. This also helps save
    on battery power. It works best if everything you're trying to read is a
    white background with dark text. Usually I sit with myself and the
    keyboard in shade, with the screen exposed to the sun.

    Howard Chu, Aug 28, 2004
  6. There are some screens which are intended for daylight viewing available ---
    mostly in marine and cockpit applications, but they're becoming available for
    Tablet PCs as well.

    One company, www.infocater.com offers them as a retrofit on existing units, so
    it might be possible to do the replacement on an existing unit.

    William

    William F. Adams, Aug 29, 2004
  7. David Van

    genius Guest

    I've worked with a SONY TR1 Subnotebook with the X-Brite Screen for a
    year now.

    For me the X-Brite screen from SONY is outstanding for working in
    sunlight.
    There is reflection, of course, but the screen is bright enough that
    it looks like you are watching a Printed Picture behind clear Glass.
    And black remains black (in the contrary to Laptops with the common
    anti Glare Coating)

    The only time you get into trouble with this Technology is when there
    is bright diffuse light (Clouds but still very bright), then it looks
    like every Laptop screen in normal sunlight: dark, hardly readable.
    This is because the screen has polarized layers that can filter out
    directed light, but give up in diffuse light.

    We have many Laptops in our family, a Toshiba Satelite from 1999 a
    Sony VAIO from 2001, three Centrino Powered Acer's (three Months old)
    my SONY VAIO TR 1MP and my girlfriend just changed her 3 Months old
    ACER LMI with Centrino to a SONY VAIO A-Series one with 15" X-Bright
    screen (VGN A-115M). ACERS were much cheaper then, but are now in one
    row with the SONY A-Ones. ACERS have a much longer Battery uptime
    though.

    genius, Sep 7, 2004