Using a second computer case as an external SCSI enclosure

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Guest, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi All,

    I have an ancient computer that's just collecting dust on my network,
    and I'd like to use it as an enclosure to hold (and power) a few SCSI
    devices, one DVD burner and two hard drives. It will be connected
    to my primary system with proper cabling (an interior-exterior SCSI
    cable adapter, etc), and the devices will be run off the exterior SCSI
    port on the controller in my primary system.

    My question has to to with the Sparkle (SPI) FSP300-60GT power
    supply in this secondary machine. I know these supplies require a
    minimum load on certain rails, although I have no idea which rails,
    and what voltage is required on each.

    If I use this supply to run the three SCSI devices, but don't connect the
    motherboard or any other power leads, will this be enough to satisfy
    its minimum load requirements?

    I hope I've described my question clearly, and I appreciate any help
    or info.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Guest, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Guest

    Baron Guest

    Short answer. Yes ! You will need to ground the PS (Green wire) to turn
    it on. Or any older AT PSU with a real mains switch. In which case
    you will need to load the 5V to draw about an amp.

    Baron, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Guest

    firebird-jmw Guest

    Either MCM (MCMinOne.com) or newegg has a power supply test load for a
    couple of bucks. Attach it to the 20 or 24 pin mainboard connector and
    it will take care of the problem.

    firebird-jmw, Mar 31, 2009
  4. Guest

    Baron Guest

    I agree ! You could cook eggs on my 120w test load within a few
    minutes... Great on a cold morning though. :)

    Baron, Apr 1, 2009
  5. Guest

    Eeyore Guest

    Chances are that the 5V and 12V loads will be fine.

    Yes, it's been done before. Just a storage subsystem.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Apr 1, 2009