Using Airport Extreme Base Station with MacOS 9.2.2.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michael Graham, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Hi all

    I am posting this message, as I just purchased an Airport card and
    wireless router via the internet from CompUSA. I bought these with the
    hope that I could do the wireless internet thing.

    This router was a store branded unit that I thought I would try, as it
    was only $30 after a $40 instant rebate. After hocking it up as the
    manual states I am unable to access the web page for setting up my
    router. If I remember right I get an error message stating that a
    "connection failure occurred", but I could be wrong.

    In any event a friend of mine is suggesting that I return the wireless
    router and exchange it for an Airport Base unit. Only problem I see
    there is that it does not list my operating software (MacOS 9.2.2)
    under system requirements for Airport Extreme Base Station. Just
    wounding if I can use the Airport software already installed on
    computer to set up this unit.

    Thanks
    M. Graham

    Michael Graham, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Michael Graham

    Bob Harris Guest

    Not sure if the Airport Extreme can be managed by a Mac OS 9.2.2 system.
    Sorry.

    However, just a few sanity check questions about talking to the $30 WiFi
    base stations.

    Did you connect an ethernet cable between your Mac and the LAN side of
    the base station. Not the WAN side as that side should block any
    attempts to adminster it.

    Did you set your TCP/IP control panel so that it was using the same IP
    address range as the $30 base station. For example:

    manual eithernet configuration
    192.168.0.10 for you
    255.255.255.0 your mask
    192.168.0.1 for your base station (manual should give value)

    Close the TCP/IP control panel

    Now if you have the right IP addresses, your browser should bring up an
    Admin login page.

    I have seen 3rd party base station IP addresses of

    192.168.0.1
    192.168.1.1
    192.168.2.1
    10.0.1.1
    10.0.2.1

    That is the general pattern where typically the last digit is 1 and the
    2nd to last digit varies.

    It is possible that your base station comes configured by detaul to
    provide DHCP addresses, in which case you might also try setting your
    TCP/IP Control Panel to DHCP.

    However, a lot of base station vendors do not like to do this as it can
    cause problems if someone without thinking attaches one of these to a
    Corporate network, and the base station starts to interfer with the
    corporate DHCP servers (I've actually had this happen to me a work when
    a home Linksys router was plugged into our corporate network, and my
    Pismo keep getting a 192.168.*.* address; which didn't work very will in
    our network).

    Anyway, if you can get your $30 base station working, you can avoid
    having to worry about getting an Airport Extreme.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Thanks for the reply. I went through double checked everything from
    your reply. Still no luck after that. I still get the same error
    message "a connction failure accured."

    Thanks again
    M. Graham

    Michael Graham, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Michael Graham

    Bob Harris Guest

    Bummer!

    I've managed an SMC Barricade WiFi via my Mac browser, and I've talked
    to a D-Link DI-704 Cable/DSL router (no WiFi). So I know it can be done.

    If you find out that Airport Extreme requires Mac OS X (I don't know),
    and you do not want to upgrade to Mac OS X, then you should try one of
    the following:

    Another Vendor's WiFi base station

    Or try getting a Snow Airport which should work with Mac OS 9. The
    Snow has 2 Ethernet ports and is the 2nd generation Airport base
    station. The 1st Generation Airport base station is the Graphite. This
    one is not suitable as a router to a cable/DSL modem as it only has 1
    ethernet port. The Graphite is only good for routing between your home
    ethernet and a dialup ISP connection.

    Anyway, good look.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Oct 4, 2003