Using an IDE/ATA drive and a SATA drive on the same motherboard

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Andrew, May 15, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Could someone please help me with the following queries:

    I have a Gigabyte GA-81848P(-G) which supports IDE/ATA and SATA
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1769

    I currently have one IDE/ATA hardrive with Windows XP installed on it
    and would like to add a second drive to run Linux.

    Question 1: Is getting a SATA drive worth it?

    Question 2: Is it possible to have an IDE/ATA hard drive and a SATA
    hard drive running as master and slave on the same motherboard?

    Question 3: My motherboard supports SATA (upto 150MB/s in the manual).
    Can I use a SATA-300 hard drive with the motherboard?

    Thanks

    Andrew

    Andrew, May 15, 2006

  2. Andrew

    JK Guest

    Well, sata is just a little faster in burst mode. The real speed for
    large file read/write is like IDE, determined by magnetic speed limit.
    No, you set it up in boot-setup section of the bios. So changing
    booting from ide to sata requires a bios setup change.
    Another method is to leave a partition on your primary harddisk for
    Linux. Then Linux should add a boot manager. But you could probably
    also change booting between 2 IDE harddisks (in bios), which are both
    masters on IDE1 and IDE2 respectively.

    I would disconnect the IDE when installing Linux on SATA, since IDE
    could be a default drive for installation. Then connect the IDE
    afterwards.
    I believe that is set by jumpers on the sata-300 disks. I have read
    about it, but not tried it myself.

    Heard about a harddisk shelfe ? One harddisk for each operative
    system, and you change the harddisk. It is also safe when small
    children want to play, they get their own.

    best regards

    John

    JK, May 15, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Andy L Guest

    Thanks for the advice John!

    I've heard of the hard disk shelves, but don't think one would really
    help me out that much...

    Cheers

    Andrew

    Andy L, May 15, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Jason A Guest

    To an extent, SATA is nice, with the slimmer cables. Speed-wise, I've
    got several SATA and IDE in one system, and have seen no big performance
    gains in SATA over IDE. Your mileage may vary.
    Yes, SATA and IDE can co-exist. SATA does not have master/slave
    jumpers. You would need to decide which you want as a boot drive in the
    system BIOS, first. See answer to number 1, as I said, I have several
    SATA HDs and an IDE HD in the same system (2 WD 36GB Raptors, 1
    Maxtor(?) SATA, and 1 Maxtor IDE) Boots from the Raptors (RAID-0),
    everything else lives on the other drives.
    SATA-300 is backward compatible with SATA-150, with no jumpers.

    FYI, I have a GigaByte GA-K8N Ultra-9 motherboard (8 SATA ports, two IDE
    ports)

    I am not familiar with loading Linux to SATA, but I would expect,
    presuming the distro you use supports the SATA, you could load it to the
    SATA drive, and have it write its' boot loader to the IDE, allowing both
    OSes to co-exist.

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Reply to for SPAM only

    All others use:
    m0ng0l . h0rde @ gmail . com

    Remove spaces to send
    Thank you
    -------------------------------------

    Jason A, May 16, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Jonno Guest

    Same sort of qeustion. Can IDE and Raid exist on the same system?

    Jonno, May 18, 2006
  6. Andrew

    Jason A Guest

    Probably the best way to answer this is a crash course in what RAID is.

    Redundant
    Array
    Independent (or Inexpensive)
    Drives

    RAID is not a controller, but instead is an implementation on a
    controller. You can have RAID that uses IDE, SCSI, or SATA drives, *IF*
    the controller supports it.

    You can also use a RAID enabled controller as a standard controller.

    For example, your particular board does not appear to have a hardware
    based RAID controller. However, using my board as an example, I can use
    the Silicon Image controller to either provide 4 independent SATA ports,
    or to use the 4 SATA ports to build a RAID array. Ditto for the 4 SATA
    ports provided by the nForce4 chipset. However, I can't build a RAID
    array with the on-board IDE ports.

    I won't even go into the varying levels of RAID, and anyway, most
    consumer motherboards don't support the really fancy RAID levels anyways...

    Short answer, there is no "short answer"
    ;-)

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Reply to for SPAM only

    All others use:
    m0ng0l . h0rde @ gmail . com

    Remove spaces to send
    Thank you
    -------------------------------------

    Jason A, May 19, 2006
  7. Andrew

    Jonno Guest

    Lets forget about the crash course. (I crashed already)Keep it simple.

    My system A gigabyte Motherboard. It seems to support all raid variations.
    Do most MB have the ability to use both raid and IDE. It takes while to
    start up using RAID and reports that it hasnt found the IDE drive/s.
    It has seperate RAID connectors It also has a seperate IDE connectors.
    I use RAID 0 using two 160 GB drives.
    There appears no way in the bios to turn this hunting for IDE off.
    Nothing mentioned in manual, so I'm sort of confused.

    Jonno, May 19, 2006
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Thankyou for the answers Jason. Think I will go with SATA only if the
    drives aren't that much more expensive that the IDE ones.

    Cheers

    Andrew

    Andrew, May 22, 2006
  9. Andrew

    old man Guest

    If your mobo has sata and ide it can use both
    If booting with sata takes a time and you get err msgs re ide then its
    posibly a driver problem.
    You installed mobo chipset drivers?

    old man, May 22, 2006