    wondered whether the operating system built with a new Dell restore disk
    with SP2 would accept the original activation key? The system works now
    so there are no problems yet, but planning for the future. Thanks.

    Sliderbot, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Sliderbot

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Sliderbot

    Tom Scales Guest

    As long as the original key was for XP Pro. It will actually work either
    way, as it will not prompt for a key, but to be legal....

    Tom Scales, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Sliderbot

    Hank Arnold Guest

    If you boot from CD, you won't be prompted for a CD Key. If you don't, it
    will prompt you for one. In that case, yes, the existing key will work (as
    long as it's valid for the OS you are installing).

    Hank Arnold, Mar 13, 2006
  5. It's twistier than that, but as the others have pointed out, it'll
    work reasonably well.

    If you boot from a Dell restore disk, it won't even ask you for the
    key, but will use a Dell OEM key that's common to a whole range of
    Dell PCs. This will work fine, and even pass Windows Genuine
    Advantage Validation.

    If you boot from a Microsoft CD, it'll ask you for the key off the COA
    sticker on the side of the machine. This key may not work (without a
    phone call to a M$ Customer Service Rep explaining the situation), but
    eventually you'll be able to make it work, and then it'll passs WGAV.

    The point to remember is that you have a valid license to run that
    version of WinDoze (check the sticker for the details of the version,
    XP Home, XP Pro, XP WME, etc) on that machine. You are not (legally)
    allowed to move that key number to another machine, but you have a
    license, and it's fairly easy to make it work.

    If you change too many of the hardware details of the machine, you may
    have to revalidate, and if you revalidate too often in a certain
    period of time you'll have to call and talk to a person again, so make
    sure your hardware is stable before you start the process.

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Sliderbot

    BVFN Admin Guest

    One problem I have seen recently when trying to install XP from a mix
    and match disc is the key not working. We had bought a Dell Lattitude
    laptop that shipped with XP pro, but didn't contain any media. Due to
    compatibility issues, we downgraded to 2000pro. Now that the software
    that was causing the problem is no longer in use, we went to upgrade
    the system back to XP pro. Since it didn't come with any media, I tried
    upgrading with the disc that came with another computer, they're both
    XP pro, both the same build, but the Dell key won't work with the OEM
    disc.

    BVFN Admin, Mar 13, 2006
  7. upgrading is different than installing from scratch.
    you can not use your dell provided cd to do upgrades from other version
    operating systems.
    if you boot from a dell provided operating system cd and install it from
    scratch on a dell pc then you won't be asked to supply the key. if you boot
    from another source then use your dell provided operating system cd to
    install the os on your dell pc then you will be required to enter the dell
    provided key. if you use a retail edition of the operating system then the
    dell provided key will not work to activate windows (you can not mix oem and
    retail windows xp cds and activation keys).

    Christopher Muto, Mar 13, 2006