    should be able to find out.
    Thanks.
    Pete

    Pete.Voorhees, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Pete.Voorhees

    Guest Guest

    nope. apple's vpn client only supports two types of vpn - pptp and
    l2tp and the cisco uses a different type - ipsec. it may be possible
    to configure a third party ipsec client to work with the cisco, but it
    is easiest to simply use cisco's client.

    Guest, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Pete.Voorhees

    Bob Harris Guest

    As far as I know, you have to use the Cisco VPN client.

    But I'm only basing that on the fact that the company I work for
    provides the Cisco client for use with my Mac.

    I am assuming they do this, because the build-in MacOSX VPN client
    will not work.

    Mostly assumptions, I know, but the best I can do.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Depends. Talk to your net admin to find out the requirements.

    The Apple VPN only supports PPTP, I recall. If the Cisco VPN connection
    supports that, you should be golden. If there are proprietary
    requirements, you will need a third-party client app.

    void * clvrmnky(), Dec 19, 2005
  5. Pete.Voorhees

    nukular Guest

    I think you need the Cisco VPN unless you want to hack the bejesus out
    of the apple VPN...since I think the ipsec is there, but is not really
    supported using the gui.....

    But anyhoo...its not really a problem as the vpn client is available
    for free from Cisco...though your system administrator will have to get
    it from them as it requires a login to get it. BUT if you google hard
    enough (i.e....5 or 10 minutes of work maybe?) you will find it offered
    on a college site somewhere for their students. That's how I got it
    since I didn't want to bug my sys. admin. Works like a charm if you
    remember to restart your machine before trying it the first time.

    nukular, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Pete.Voorhees

    Pete Guest

    Everyone,
    Thank you for your informative responses. They have been enough help
    that I could consider the subject closed. Thank you again.
    Pete

    Pete, Dec 20, 2005