Using both analog and DVi inputs with Ultrasharp 1905FP Digital Flat Panel

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rick, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I just purchased a new Dell with this monitor that has both the DVi and
    analog inputs. I have a somewhat unique setup in that I have the DVi
    cable connected directly from monitor to PC, but the analog cable is
    first going to a 4-port KVM switch, then the mouse, keyboard and
    monitor cable are going to the same PC. The video card in the PC has
    two DVi inputs, but came with one analog-DVi converter. I figured if I
    used the converter to connect the KVM plug into, I'd be able to switch
    to that PC and use it without having to go into the monitor's digital
    mode.

    Does that make sense? Nothing's really "broken", but I think I should
    be able to use the analog cable just as well as the digital. Granted,
    the analog cable is being converted to a digital connection (and that
    very well could be my answer right there - that the PC itself doesn't
    have an analog port, therefore, no analog).

    I may have answered my own question, but if someone out there has any
    ideas, I'd love to hear them.

    Thanks!

    Rick, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Rick

    hdrdtd Guest

    Should work just fine.

    Just remember that to use the monitor in DVI mode from the PC or in Analog
    mode via the KVM, you'll have to select (on the monitor's front panel via
    one of the buttons) between Analog and Digital.mode.

    Of couse I'm basing this on the monitor's previous model the Ultrasharp
    1901FP.

    hdrdtd, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    That makes sense, and I understand how to switch modes. I was
    initially thinking that whatever cable I have coming out of the analog
    port of the monitor would still be analog, even if it was hooked in
    with a DVi converter. It's just weird that they would ship a system
    that has a dual-port monitor, but only DVi inputs on the PC.

    Rick, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Rick

    Tom Scales Guest

    Outputs.

    Why is that surprising? They clearly sell the monitor to work with many
    computers, some of which are only analog.

    Tom Scales, Jan 22, 2006