Using front-panel AND rear audio jacks

Discussion in 'Abit' started by George Adams, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. George Adams

    George Adams Guest

    I'm thinking about buying an ABIT IS7-E, which comes with integrated audio.
    I'm particularly interested in having a front-panel audio connection that I
    can use for headphones, though I don't want to give up the ability to plug a
    pair of speakers into the back.

    Now, if I understand how things work, it's not possible to have both the
    front audio connector AND the rear connectors operating *simultaneously*.
    I can live with that. However, if possible, I WOULD like to be able to have
    access to both sets of connectors (i.e. the speakers plugged into the back
    connectors will produce sound until the headphones are plugged into the
    front jack, at which time the speakers will be muted and the sound will go
    through the headphones. Once the headphones are unplugged, the rear jacks
    are re-enabled and the speakers are un-muted).

    So my questions are:

    1) If I understand the IS7-E documentation correctly, it cannot do what I
    want to do (i.e. it appears you can have either front OR rear connections,
    and they can only be toggled by resetting jumpers on the MB). Is that
    correct?

    2) If so, is there any MB (ABIT or otherwise) that *can* switch on-demand
    like I've described, without having to constantly readjust jumpers on the
    board?

    Thanks to anyone who can help!

    George Adams, Dec 3, 2003

  2. George Adams

    0_Qed Guest

    George Adams wrote:
    ....snip...
    Assuming your "#1" above is =true= ...

    "Mechanically" ... I dunno about electrically ...
    you aughta be able to run the jmpr pins to a small front panel switch(s)
    no?

    The only =<?>= is "switching" said re_wired jmprs, under a load ...
    a S/DPDT break_before_make switch mite help .

    Mauser(USA) carries a great selection of S/DPDT mbb bat/rocker/push
    switches ...
    You mite even find some of the older telco multi_pole bat swithches
    there,
    a bit big & clumsy tho ... but quality.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Dec 4, 2003

  3. George Adams

    Robert Guest

    If the IS7 has the FPIO2 header for use with the Media XP then it is the
    same as my NF7 and you can use front panel audio that has a passthrough
    wiring. It will have four wires instead of just two if it has passthrough.
    The wires on my Antec Sonata case are labeled FPOUT-L, FPOUT-R, RET-L and
    RET-R. The FPOUT is the input and the RET sends the audio back to the rear
    panel. When headphones are connected the audio signal does not go to the
    rear panel jack, but if no headphones are connected it is as if the jumpers
    were still on the motherboard and audio is available at the rear panel jack.
    Check your manual for the FPIO2 header and look here:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/faq/mediaxp/2002080901.php you should be able to
    figure out where to connect the wires.

    Robert, Dec 4, 2003
  4. George Adams

    Skid Guest

    George,

    I think the jumper setup is the same as on my IC7. It does exactly what
    you're asking. Speakers work from the rear jacks until you plug in
    headphones in the front. It's a bitch to get all those tiny jumpers in the
    right place with human-sized fingers, but it can be done.

    Skid, Dec 4, 2003
  5. George Adams

    George Adams Guest

    Thanks, guys - I appreciate the help. Robert, your explanation above makes
    a lot of sense to me, and the pinouts on the IS7-E look identical to the
    FPIO2 header on the page you linked to. (I also compared the IS7-E
    documentation to the NF7, and the pinouts look identical.) So unless anyone
    knows differently, I'll assume that IS7-E does what I want to - mutes the
    rear jacks automatically when the FP jacks are used, then resumes output
    through the rear jacks when the FP audio device is unplugged)

    George Adams, Dec 4, 2003
  6. George Adams

    0_Qed Guest

    George Adams wrote:

    ....snip...
    ??? ... 'mutes' the rear jacks ...

    Dunno ...
    Me?
    I'd examine the circuitry closely ,
    see if it provides SPDT " break before make " switching .

    Someone aughta know ... for =sure= I dont ,
    BUT ...
    that still leaves me with a valid <?>, or '2' ...
    Wheres the 'SPDT' switching done ???
    Does the SPDT circuit break before make(bbm) ???
    Is 'bbm' necessary for all the "devices" attached ???
    Dunno, at all.

    I suppose you can always try it ...
    "suck it & see" , as the Weber Carb manual says ...
    Color me 'coward', tho ... :)

    Let us know the results, please ...
    piqued my curiosity, it did.

    Qed.