Using P4C800 Deluxe & SATA II drives for backup?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by M. B., Jan 21, 2006.

  1. M. B.

    M. B. Guest

    I am currently running Windows XP SP2 on a one partition hard drive (WD
    Caviar SATA-II), which is 250 gigabytes. My curent backup unit is a HP
    SureStor DAT 40 tape drive using DDS4.

    Since it is now taking me like 5 tapes to backup my system, would the
    following solution work for me better? Buy another INTERNAL 250 gig drive
    SATA-II (around $120). Use the drive only to make "identical clone copies"
    from the C: drive around about once a week using progrtam such as Norton
    Ghost or Acronis True Image. So the 2nd drive would be only used for cloning
    of the first. In other words in case my C: ever gets corrupted or dies, all
    I do is enable the D: drive, which in essence becomes my new C:

    The reason I don't want to buy an EXTERNAL drive (such as Maxtor OneTouch II
    or alike) is that it takes up space, the data transfer will be slower even
    on FireWire and it costs more.

    My question is this:

    Since I am dealing with SATA-II drives, I need to use the latest True Image
    / Norton Ghost versions. Both require that you run the program directly
    from Windows XP. What will happen when I enable the D: drive for the
    system boot, as since it's a clone of the C: drive, it also has a boot
    sector. Will Windows boot off the correct drive? I assume that I can
    disable the D: drive from within the BIOS of my motherboard (ASUS P4C800
    Deluxe) for all other computer usage, but somehow I need to start the system
    with both drives on in order for the cloning program to work correcly.

    Can someone please enlighten me?

    M. B., Jan 21, 2006

  2. Why not just set up a RAID 1 (disk mirroring) array?

    -Philip Wright

    Philip Wright, Jan 21, 2006

  3. M. B.

    M. B. Guest

    The reason I dont want RAID 1 is because if either of the drives fail, the
    data on both is lost forever. Right?

    M. B., Jan 21, 2006
  4. M. B.

    KC Computers Guest

    The reason I dont want RAID 1 is because if either of the drives fail, the
    No, that's RAID 0. RAID 1 mirrors a drive so there is an identical
    copy ready to go should the main drive fail. RAID 0 is called striping
    and boosts performance but at the risk of losing all data.

    KC Computers, Jan 21, 2006
  5. M. B.

    Bob Willard Guest

    RAID1 only protects against a failure in either of the two HDs. But, a
    HD is
    one of the most reliable components in a PC. RAID1 does not protect against
    a failure in any of these components, many of which are far more likely to
    cause loss of data: CPU, chipset, MB, PS, RAM, cables, AC line
    spikes/brownouts,
    fans, keyboard, mouse, Windows, Office & other apps, and (the least
    trusworthy
    component in your entire office) you.

    Bob Willard, Jan 21, 2006
  6. M. B.

    Paul Guest

    You could use a rack like this one.
    The tray mounts inside your computer, and connects via a SATA cable.

    http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?CateID=47&ID=268

    The drive is mounted in a box and can be removed from the
    computer.

    And it is only $30.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121179

    The pictures on the Kingwin site are a waste of bitmaps, as they
    don't show any details of the inside of the box. And Newegg got
    lazy and only put one picture in their advertisement.

    To use it, shut off the computer, insert the disk into the tray.
    Turn on the computer, enter the BIOS, and select the correct
    disk to boot from. The other disk should be ignored, unless you
    happen to select it as the hard drive to boot from. Do your
    back. Shut down and remove the drive. The next time you power
    up, enter the BIOS again, and correct the boot selection in case
    it is changed or incorrect. That should be the most work you
    have to do.

    I don't recommend hot insertion, as I'm not sure that the ICH5
    Southbridge can handle it (the driver I mean). Also, considering
    the fragility of the Southbridge, I wouldn't want to present any
    more electrical disturbance to that chip than is necessary. That
    is why I'm recommending shutdown before drive insertion or
    removal. If you were connected to a SIL3112 or some other SATA II
    controller chip, you could attempt hot swap with that. I would
    also want to inspect the drive tray, and see if they use advance
    pins to sequence power and signals, as that is necessary if you
    want to hot swap a device safely. (At a minimum, the GND should
    be established first, to protect against ESD or having a power
    pin be connected to the drive first. Since it looks like Kingwin
    introduced their own level of connectorization, that is the
    connector I'd be looking at.)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 21, 2006
  7. No. In RAID 1 all of your data is stored on both disks. If one fails
    all of your data still exists on the other disk. Google RAID 1 for
    more details.

    -Philip

    Philip Wright, Jan 21, 2006
  8. M. B.

    troop Guest

    Yeah works perfectly--is what I do--clone C to D and boot either
    of'em--poc--nobody here told you the secret--press F8 as soon as
    the first screen opens on boot and message shows--pop up menue
    for boot drive--which then displays after all devices
    initialized--choose your boot drive--C,D whatever--and bob's your
    uncle--and I wouldn't use those overpriced and complex image
    apps--look at CasperXP--way too easy for words

    troop, Jan 21, 2006