Using POP or IMAP email on a 68K Mac???

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Stephen Thomas Cole, Nov 7, 2012.

  1. Hello folks.

    I'm running a rather lovely, expanded LCIII+ as my legacy system. It's
    pimped about as far as it can be taken, maxed RAM, maxed VRAM, FPU, Apple
    IIe card installed (with joystick, still looking for a floppy drive), 2GB
    internal SCSI drive running OS7.6.1 (and a small 7.5.3 partition for the
    IIe card), Apple Design speakers, Asante SCSI-Ethernet box, external Apple
    CD drive, LaserWriter printer, Newton 2100, Wacom tablet. Thing's a
    beauty.

    Like I said, not much more to be done with hardware so I'm concentrating
    now on getting the right software installed to make the machine useful.
    Netscape 3 does the web fairly well, icab runs slowly but renders the more
    modern sites much better, MT-NewsWatcher for Usenet, ircle for IRC,
    TurboGopher for Gopher, naturally. All good stuff. But I can't get email
    working in anything, not OE, Eudora, Communicator, nothing. In OE the
    connection error "the server reply is invalid" comes back, so I'm guessing
    that it's some kind of newfangled authentication that's ballsing it up.
    Ideally, I'd like to use my ISP email account on POP in, preferably, OE.
    But if I use a Gmail or Hotmail account, that'd be fine. Problem is the
    same for all though when trying to set up the POP details, no dice with
    the server.

    So, does anyone have any idea what I can do here? Is there an email client
    for 68K that can communicate with current mail servers?

    Stephen Thomas Cole, Nov 7, 2012

  2. Working (or at least working well) IMAP is probably out of the question
    on a 68K Mac (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but POP is certainly
    doable (I know people who do). I suspect you're running into issues
    trying to use older Email clients lacking SSL authentication or the
    wrong settings.

    I don't have a working 68K Mac to test on and my memory is fuzzy on OE
    (ugg), Eudora and Netscape's settings, but perhaps if you post a link to
    your ISP's email setup instructions, someone else can assist you.

    One note - I know at least one person using a Windows PC (any modern OS
    will do, e.g. OSX, Ubuntu Linux, NetBSD) on their LAN to run an SSL
    proxy on, that their 68K Mac's email client connects through. This page
    explains: <http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/68kMail/>

    I almost did the same to use SSL Email with MacSOUP when I moved to
    Google as my Email host, but I decided switching to Apple Mail was a
    better option, given the increasing volume of HTML email (MacSOUP's
    email client is plain text only). I did used to run a spam filter proxy
    on one of my Macs before I decided Google's email filter did such a good
    job, further filtering was pointless.

    Anyway, if a modern computer to run a proxy on isn't feasible, and your
    ISP only supports protocols your old email client doesn't, you might try
    looking around for one of the ISPs or email providers that still offers
    simple plain text password authentication for their email (the only
    requirement usually being that you send email from within their network,
    i.e. not be using another way to connect to the internet like a coffee
    shop hotspot, or another ISP). Mine still does, for example (though I
    live in NZ), and I use it's SMTP server to send email replies from
    MacSOUP (which doesn't support SSL and any authentication other than
    plain text password) - saves me having to run a proxy just to be able to
    email people on Usenet :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 7, 2012

  3. Hello Jamie!

    I'm using VirginMedia Broadband in the UK and whilst they do have setup
    instructions on their website, they don't support back to the version of
    OE I'm using (4.something, last version for 68K Mac) so no definitive
    instructions to follow. Either way, their POP/SMTP settings are completely
    standard. There must be something else in the authentication chain between
    me and them that this version of OE (or any other mail client I can find)
    can deal with.
    That's great, thanks for that. I do actually have a G4 Cube running here
    24/7 as a headless print server, so if it can be done on that, I can do
    it! I will read that link in detail.
    Yeah, I may do some googling and see what I can sign up to. So far, my
    ISP, Gmail and Hotmail look to be out of the question. Balls. It's
    annoying, I don't want to use this machine as my main email workstation or
    anything, it'd just be nice (read: satisfying in a borderline autistic
    way) to have an email account running on here to give me a more or less
    clean sweep of working internet/comms tech on a vintage and supposedly
    obsolete machine.

    Stephen Thomas Cole, Nov 7, 2012
  4. Stephen Thomas Cole

    isw Guest

    Probably give up on IMAP. For POP, Eudora should work, but check the
    port settings. Eudora may be configured to use the old "original" ones,
    that contemporary servers have abandoned.

    Isaac

    isw, Nov 7, 2012
  5. POP ports haven't changed: they're still 110 for unencrypted, 995 for
    SSL, just as they have been for years.

    Barry Margolin, Nov 7, 2012
  6. I have one that may work; it hasn't been in production since 1997, though.
    Email me directly so we can talk about it.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 7, 2012
  7. If setting up an email proxy is too much effort for for this one issue,
    well there's always webmail. Gmail has a simple HTML view that works on
    most any web browser. The downside there is you'll lack any
    notifications you're used to (beeps and popups, or whatever your email
    client provides that you take advantage of). But it will work :)

    Or if you're feeling slightly more adventurous, you could setup a
    command line email client on your cube running OSX, and use a 68K
    Terminal app <http://www.macorchard.com/classic/#terminal> to telnet
    into that.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 8, 2012
  8. Stephen Thomas Cole

    isw Guest

    When I started using Eudora port 25 was used for SMTP (IIRC). I don't
    think it is any more, mostly because of spammers. I don't recall anybody
    using SSL on port 995 either -- not for years. I don't recall how
    classic Eudora was set up, out of the box.

    That's why I suggested to check the server's port numbers, and configure
    Eudora to match.

    Isaac

    isw, Nov 8, 2012
  9. SMTP is not POP or IMAP. SMTP is used for sending, POP and IMAP are used
    for reading.

    But I see your point -- when setting up a mail client you need to get
    both directions working. So even if he gets POP working, it's not
    helpful if he can't send mail.

    Barry Margolin, Nov 8, 2012
  10. Stephen Thomas Cole

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mulberry v2.0.8 was the last version of this email client to run on
    68k and it supports IMAP4 (as well as POP) on 68k Mac and does so
    just fine.

    Finding a working copy of this can be difficult, but a good copy is
    archived here:
    <http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mulberry-v208-email-client>

    Was a commercial app, Cyrusoft went bankrupt, 2006? The rights to
    Mulberry went to the original author and it became free and open
    sourced. The status of Mulberry is now unknown (to me).

    Mike Dee, Nov 12, 2012