    I've got 4 IDE drives (1-200GB & 3-250GB), plus DVD and CD devices. I want
    to use each of these devices as separate drives (no RAID 0 or RAID 1).

    Richard Higgins

    Deanna Higgins, Oct 27, 2004

  2. I have in the past, set up a RAID array with one drive, on another board
    to give this effect. You still need to use the RAID drivers. DVD, and CD
    devices, require support for them from the controller. Whether the A8V
    supports these on the RAID controller, I don't know.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Deanna Higgins

    Bill Payer Guest

    I've used the RAID connectors , on 2 different MOBOs, setup as regular
    IDE (no RAID 0 or 1). Don't ask me how I did it as it was some time
    ago and have forgotten the details; I gave up using this option as
    "Spinrite", a hard drive diagnostic application, will not see RAID
    drives.
    As far as I can remember you can't use CD or DVD drives on a RAID
    controller.

    BP.

    Bill Payer, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Deanna Higgins

    Paul Guest

    The Promise 20378 doesn't support ATAPI devices (so no CD/DVD on there).

    As for putting a hard drive on there, you can do it, but I would back up
    the data while the drive is on an ordinary IDE interface first, then
    restore the data once the drive has been prepped on the Promise interface.
    I say this, because I moved a drive with data on it, to a 20378,
    and did some work with Partition Magic, and when I moved the drive
    to another computer, the first partition was screwed up. I cannot
    say exactly what happened, or what I did wrong, but at least consider
    the possibility that moving from ordinary IDE to the Promise IDE,
    is not quite as transparent as you are hoping for. (What should be
    transparent, is in the future, if you have a problem, a Promise
    prepped drive can be moved to any other Promise controller. My
    suspicion is, a reserved sector is being used on the 20378, even
    when using the "ATA" driver, as I was. But don't take that theory
    as gospel. I don't know of an easy way to prove or disprove that.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Deanna Higgins

    Bill Guest

    To use the Promise RAID ATA connector as an IDE connector, in the BIOS
    change the operation mode to IDE Mode. Does not support ATAPI devices.
    See page 2-23 of the user guide.

    The two IDE connectors will support the four drives you have without any
    changes.

    Bill

    Bill, Oct 28, 2004
  6. I've got an Asus A7V333 with RAID and I use 6 IDE devices: three hard
    disks, one DVD writer, one CD writer and one CD reader...
    ....but I've a modified BIOS on my mobo.
    Ciao

    [email protected], Oct 29, 2004