Using the "Reinstalling Dell System Software" CD

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Brett24, May 18, 2006.

  1. Brett24

    Brett24 Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone help me? I have a Dell Inspiron 630 with Windows XP.
    Windows XP now longer boots and I attempted to restore my system using
    CTRL + F11 when the Dell logo appears, suggested by Dell. Nothing
    happens by pressing CTRL+F11 so Dell sent me a CD to reinstall my Dell
    software.

    I thought I would just boot from the CD and this would allow to restore
    my system! Wrong! The CD boots but it only allows me 2 options:

    1 Dell Diagnostics
    2 Return to Dos.

    I have no idea what to do from here, can anyone help?

    Thanks,

    Brett

    Brett24, May 18, 2006

  2. Brett24

    Curious Guest

    --------------------
    Dell Tech w/ accent:
    What's the computer's model name?

    Customer:
    Dimension E510

    Dell Tech w/ accent:
    That's monitor's model name.
    What's the computer's model name?

    --------------------
    Customer:
    Could you send a replacement for the Dell supplied microphone?

    Dell Tech w/ accent:
    Dell does not warrant components outside of the system.

    Customer:
    No warranty for the keyboard, monitor and mouse???!!!
    --------------------

    Dell should have sent you winxp reinstall cd and resource cd. Ask for
    these and while waiting for them, read:

    Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition
    An Exploration by Dan Goodell
    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

    Briefly, you make a boot floppy/cd with DSRFix program, boot from it
    and run DSRFix and let it fix if no serious error. The CTRL+F11
    functionality should then be restored.

    Curious, May 18, 2006

  3. They sent you a diags disk. Call them again and ask them for a
    Windows reinstall disk.

    William P.N. Smith, May 18, 2006
  4. Brett24

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you order the XP disk with the machine? It's a $10 option. If not,
    call Dell and see if they will still provide one.

    You're booting the resource disk.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 18, 2006
  5. Brett24

    Jay B Guest

    are you aware that the restore procedure will effectively erase any user
    files you may have on there, without warning!
    so make sure you have any files backed up beforehand!

    Jay B, May 18, 2006
  6. If he does a restore install (skip the recovery console, thru F8,
    finds existing system, restore(?) existing system) then it'll work
    without destroying all his programs and data.

    William P.N. Smith, May 18, 2006
  7. Christopher Muto, May 19, 2006