using the 'Thinkpad'/'Access IBM' key on your thinkpad

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by hsin, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. hsin

    hsin Guest

    *** IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS registry file, SKIP THIS MESSAGE ***

    if you have a 'ThinkPad' key or 'Access IBM' key on your thinkpad ( it is
    the blue one on the right of Esc key)
    I found a way you can use this reg file to put it to some use,
    very easy, chage the registry file. you can make it run any program you
    like,
    also my friend add 2 essential keys that are missing in IBM thinkpads,
    also I have some code can add backward and forward,
    took me and my friend about 8 hour to find out how to do it, thanks to
    internet, and a lot of smart guys.
    feel free to play around it. have fun.

    Willy

    (2 essential keys need to reboot to active them, the ThinkPad key don't need
    to reboot)

    ;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY]

    ;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001]
    ;"file"="C:\\WINNT\\explorer.exe"

    ;change right Alt --> windows logo key, right Ctrl --> backward
    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    ;"Scancode
    Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,6a,e0,1d,e0,5b,e0,38,e0,00,00,0
    0,00

    ;change right Alt --> backward, right Ctrl --> forward
    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    ;"Scancode
    Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,69,e0,1d,e0,6a,e0,38,e0,00,00,0
    0,00

    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    ;"Scancode
    Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,6a,e0,1d,e0,5b,e0,38,e0,00,00,0
    0,00

    save the code between double lines to a text file, name it something like
    thinkpad_key.reg, then run it (double click on it)
    ;===========================================================================
    ==========

    REGEDIT4

    ;--------------------------------------------------------------
    ; here is a way to put the ThinkPad key (the one next to Esc)
    ; to some use. I set it up to lunch any program on your computer.
    ;
    ; You can change the file path to any file you like
    ; here is some example:
    ;
    ; "file"="C:\\WINNT\\explorer.exe"
    ; "file"="C:\Palm\\HOTSYNC.EXE"
    ; "file"="c:\\WINNT\\NOTEPAD.EXE"
    ; "file"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE"
    ;
    ; I test it out on T21 and T40.
    ;
    ; Author: Willy Ci
    ;
    ; Thanks for your time! Willy
    ;--------------------------------------------

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001]
    "file"="C:\\WINNT\\explorer.exe"

    ;"file"="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show Desktop.scf"

    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------
    ; This is a window registry file that remaps 2 essential keys that are
    missing in IBM thinkpads
    ; Simply double-click on this file to merge the key into your window
    registry.
    ; The new keyboard mapping will take effect after a reboot.
    ;
    ; The hex values represents key mappings.
    ; 5b,e0,38,e0 maps the window key to the right alt key
    ; 5d,e0,1d,e0 maps the application key to the right ctrl key
    ; To map additional keys, please google the keyword: "Scan Code Mapper for
    windows"
    ;
    ; Note that IBM website does have a software update called thinkpad keyboard
    customizer
    ; But it has limitations on the mapping, in addition to hogging up memory as
    a background process
    ;
    ; Author: Dave Chen 12/8/2002
    ;