  1. The serial port on the ALOM port isn't ttya (ie. the system console).

    The RJ-45 Serial port on the system itself is ttya.
    The DE9 serial port on the system itself is ttyb (nothing to see there).

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 8, 2011

  2. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    's log on stardate 08 stu 2011
    Once again, that statement is very strong, especially when you have
    described it pretty vaguely.

    VS from version 2005 has very strong toolset for debugging and I am
    quite surprised any other IDE would be incomparably better than it.

    Since your statement is rather ambiguous, what was the critical
    disadvantage of (or incredible Solaris Studio advantage versus) VS and
    which version?

    Personally, I prefer multi monitor setup and have three Dell U2312HM
    LCDs on my desk. Last time I used Solaris (and it was 10, but some
    earlier iteration), it didn't even support multi monitor setup as
    Windows did, let alone have specialized tools (such as VS) that work
    flawlessly in such setup. Not to mention team collaboration and easy
    deployment for many platforms out of the box. Tools (for Windows
    programming primarily) such as MFC tracer, Spy++ and similar are quite
    useful and I haven't seen any of those in other IDE's (although they
    are in fact stand alone applications, but still). I must admit I can't
    think of any critical flaw in VS's debugger, and don't recall I have
    heard anyone complaining about it in general. Even OpenCL&CUDA
    debugging works like a charm. Many moons have passed since I used
    Solaris as a workstation...

    Vendor Device: Type Name Solaris Driver: 32BIT 64BIT
    nVidia Corpora... V NV18GL [Quadro FX 550] Y Y
    Intel Corporation M 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition ... N N
    Intel Corporation N 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller Y Y
    Intel Corporation U 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 Y Y
    Intel Corporation U 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 Y Y
    Intel Corporation U 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 Y Y
    Intel Corporation U 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 Y Y
    Intel Corporation U 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Contro... Y Y
    Adaptec S AHA-3960D / AIC-7899A U160/m Y Y
    Texas Instruments F TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller ... Y Y
    Intel Corporation S 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller Y Y
    Intel Corporation S 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial AT... Y Y

    Driver Notes:
    Y - Solaris Driver Found; T - Third Party Driver; N - No Solaris Driver
    Device Types:
    V - Video; N - Network; S - Storage; M - Multimedia; U - USB; F - Firewire;

    Notes:
    1. This system is likely to install Solaris 10 11/06. Check the list above for
    driver availability for identified devices.
    2. This software might need an update after 2007-07-19. Please download the
    latest version at http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/install_check.html

    ....but I don't recall Solaris Studio being so memorably and
    incomparably better than VS.

    Your statement is equal to the general conclusion that Sparc sux and
    Intel rulz, or vice versa. It makes no difference to me, but it looks
    quite... funny, to say the least, on your behalf. :)

    Bubba, Nov 8, 2011

  3. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Doug McIntyre's log on stardate 09 stu 2011
    Errrr, I think you are wrong. ALOM card has serial management port (ttya,
    although it can only be used as console) and network management port, both
    physically RJ45. Server itself ("MBO") has DB9 and two RJ45 serving as
    classic RS232 (ttyb) and Ethernet (GB) devices.

    There are alternative system console configuration (page 46 of Sun Fire
    V440 Server Administration Guide) but none of which are available without
    ALOM card and usage of ttya on it.

    Bubba, Nov 8, 2011
  4. Bubba

    jimp Guest

    Start with pthreads tracing and memory leak detection and work from there.
    Solaris has supported multiple monitors since at least the 80's (the
    earliest I ever saw one) and it is simply a matter of having multiple
    graphics cards in the system.

    However, my V440 doesn't have a graphics card as it is configured as a
    server.

    I simply open as many X11 windows as I want when using it.
    Don't have a clue about X11, do you?

    On a typical day I have about a half dozen X11 windows open on various
    Sun and HP machines and on occasion a remote console on some Windows box.
    Not sure what a hardware list has to do with compilers and debugers...
    Again, start with pthreads tracing and memory leak detection and work from
    there.

    It is also integrated with DTRACE.
    Yeah...

    jimp, Nov 9, 2011
  5. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    's log on stardate 09 stu 2011
    I'd like to start with pthreads when Windows would support them, but they
    support Windows threads so non sequitur. Thus we can only discuss whether
    winthread is better than pthread than...

    Memory leaks are problem of incompetent programmer and I really can't say
    how VS's debugger and CRT's are inferior to toolset that Solaris Studio
    uses since I haven't tried them.

    But perhaps you could shed some light to the matter since you are
    obviously acquainted with the topic?
    Well, Solaris 10 I used had lousy and primitive support for multiple
    monitors 4 years ago. I haven't seen that it has advanced much, at least
    not in comparison with Windows.
    And that is your definition of "quality multimonitor setup"?
    Don't have a clue what the "multiple monitor" setup is? Let alone quality
    one?
    Good for you. What exactly does this has to do with multimonitor setup?

    /snip
    To show you the last time I used Solaris was not so historically long ago
    and its ability to support multiple monitors and flawlessness of Solaris
    Studio was not so distinct I would remain on it.
    Well, you can return to the top of my post than.
    Wow. Does it? And that's what makes it so good or what? Visual Studio can
    be interfaced with whole set of Sysinternals that include DebugView and
    other tools for debugging, tracing, etc.
    Yeah indeed. You are ranting about something you apparently don't know
    much, or you are just so kind and withholding crucial information to the
    poor people of css.hw group.

    In any case, I am aware of many VS's strengths and weaknesses since I have
    been hanging with it since 2006. intensively on designing C/C++
    applications, including WinSock and MFC. You, so far, were no ware near
    explaining what is so cool, great and unsurpassable better in Solaris
    Studio than in VS, except few trolling techno-babbling words without any
    sane explanation...

    Bubba, Nov 9, 2011
  6. Bubba

    jimp Guest

    Actually you can use POSIX threads on windows.
    Have you ever heard the saying "To err is human"?

    Memory leaks occur no matter how competent the programmer and the more
    complex a program, the more likely there will be a memory leak.

    Your statement "...I haven't tried them" says it all.
    Utter nonsense

    Perhaps what you really meant to say is Solaris lacks support for generic
    graphics cards from no-name Taiwanese vendors.
    You really don't understand how it works, do you?

    Multiple monitors depend on there being multiple graphics cards installed
    in the computer.

    Software support for multiple graphics cards has been part of X11 for
    about 30 years or so.

    Software support for a particular graphics card is a separate issue.
    Pure babble.

    Again, software support for multiple graphics cards has been part of X11 for
    about 30 years or so.
    Mostly that under X11 it is rare that someone has a real need for multiple
    monitors, especially these days with high resolution monitors.

    I can only think of one organization that makes real use of multiple
    monitors and that is for a specialized monitoring and control application
    that has about a half dozen active windows running.

    They have been running this on HP and Solaris Unix systems for a couple
    of decades now.
    Babble.

    Solaris Studio has nothing to do with the underlying hardware.

    It is the Solaris operating system that supports the monitors.

    The operating system has supported multiple graphics cards for at least
    30 years.

    If you have three graphics cards in the system and you want Solaris Studio
    running on the third one, it is simply stated with:

    sunstudio -DISPLAY :0.3
    Most of that is built into Solaris Studio.
    Whoopee!!

    I've been working with various flavors of Unix and X11 since about 1980,
    which is 5 years before any version of Microsoft Windows existed and about
    10 years before Microsoft anything supported TCP/IP.

    You are aware that the Windows Sockets API was authored by 5 people, only
    two of which were from Microsoft, the others being Martin Hall and Mark
    Towfiq of Microdyne and Geoff Arnold of Sun Microsystems?

    jimp, Nov 9, 2011
  7. Bubba

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Similar -- but am quite glad to have faster systems these days. :)
    O.K. Not a Sun 68k system, then. :)
    8 MHz Cosmos CMS-16/UNX running v7 unix port by Unisoft? Deadly
    slow.

    * MACHINE MICROPROCESSOR OPERATING COMPILER DHRYSTONES/SEC.
    * TYPE SYSTEM NO REG REGS
    * Cosmos 68000-8Mhz UniSoft cc 305 322 Report with this distribution
    * Cosmos 68000-8Mhz UniSoft cc 365 394 - My machine (Plessy ram cards)

    * ATT PC7300 68010-10Mhz UNIX 5.2 cc 1041 1111
    * ATT PC7300 68010-10Mhz UNIX 5.2(3.51) cc 1066 1137

    * Sun2/120 68010-10Mhz Standalone cc 1219 1315

    * SUN 3/75 68020-16.67Mhz SUN 4.2 V3 cc 3333 3571
    * Sun 3/180 68020-16.67Mhz Sun 4.2 cc 3333 3846
    * SUN-3/160C 68020-16.67Mhz Sun3.0ALPHA1 Un*x 3333 4166

    * Opus (SS1+ Clone) 4.1.3 gcc 2.7.2 36585 35714
    * SS-10 4 Ross 33MHz CPUS SunOs 4.1.4 gcc 2.7.2.3 54545 53571
    * SS-10 Dual 50MHz SuperCache Solaris 2.6 gcc 2.8.1 88235 90909
    * SS-10 Sing 50MHz SuperCache Solaris 2.7 gcc 2.8.1 93750 90909
    * SS-20 dual 50MHz It,TMS390Z50 Solaris 8 gcc 2.95.3 93750 93750

    Run speeds, not compile times, but they are proportional. :) These are
    some of my personally-owned slower machines.
    O.K.

    [ ... ]
    Well ... it is designed to live, unattended mostly, in a
    computer room with lots of industrial sized air conditioning running,
    and lots of disk drives and other computers as well. They are more
    interested in keeping the computers cool so they last a long time.
    These are not made to be desktop machines, after all. :)
    Based on the RCS card for the Sun Fire 280R, the serial port is
    an RJ-45 on the card bracket, along with another RJ-45 for 10BaseT
    ethernet, and an RJ-13 (6-pin) for connecting a built-in modem to a
    phone line. TTYA and TTYB are not used by the RCS, and likely by the
    ALOM as well. Now the Sun Fire V120s which I have use TTYA as both the
    (serial) console and the LOM control port. I've got a terminal server
    which connects to six of these machines with a single ethernet jack on
    it, so I don't have to cross-jumper a bunch of serial ports between
    machines, and hope that at least one is alive when I need to control
    another.
    I don't know about the V440 (no personal experience with it),
    but I've been able to download service manuals for the Sun Fire 280R and
    the Sun Fire V120 as well as Sun Blade 1000 and Sun Blade 2000. They
    appear to still be there on the Oracle sites, but the necessary links to
    them are nearly impossible to find on the Oracle web sites. Look using
    Google or a similar search tool to find where the stuff is hidden.

    A Google search for "sun v440 service manual" gives lots of
    hits. The first three are:

    Sun Fire V440 SErver Administration Guide

    Sun Fire V440 Server Diagnostics and Troubleshooting guide

    Sun Fire V440 Server Installation Guide

    and a few deeper I find:

    Sun Fire V440 Manual - Sun Fire User Manual Service Guide

    And a search for "sun v440 ALOM" includes:

    How to bypass ALOM password on a Sun Fire[TM] V210/V240/V250 ..

    along with:

    SOLARIS - Sun Advanced Lights Out Manager (ALOM) 1.6 ...

    O.K. A link to an eBay auction for an ALOM card for the V440
    shows two jacks -- the RJ-45 ethernet jack, and a "Serial MGMT" jack,
    which looks like 6 or 4 pins.
    Well ... the first change leaves borderline magnetic recordings
    along at least one edge of the track -- perhaps as a function of varying
    track alignment between write passes -- but it takes *serious* equipment
    to analyze a disassembled drive to get this -- and somebody *really*
    needs to want it. :)
    O.K. Not Fluke after all, but looks as though it may be similar
    quality.

    Good luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Nov 10, 2011
  8. Bubba

    Bartholomew Guest

    wrote:

    I admire your patience with this Windows Weenie!
    I would disagree here. I am visually impaired and find two monitors
    very helpful.

    B.

    Bartholomew, Nov 13, 2011
  9. Bubba

    jimp Guest

    It is obvious he hasn't a clue how any operating system supports graphic
    displays.
    Well, that's really a "special" case, but I see your point.

    jimp, Nov 13, 2011
  10. Bubba

    Michael Guest

    Hi,
    Sorry for jumping in on your dbg discussion, but where have you been the
    last 25 year, did you go direct from a VT100 to a PC :)
    Multimonitor on Unix not working :) Windows supports it hahaha :)

    By having this kind of statements all the rest you write will be taken
    with a grain of salt(is that proper English BTW?).

    I have not been on a Unix WS for 10 years myself, I left the big fat WS
    for SunRays and you can a a few of these to one keyboard I promise you
    that :)

    /michael

    Michael, Nov 14, 2011