    SDRAM whereas the V440 uses a fast internal 1MB cache and has an on-chip
    DDR-RAM interface. Ideas or experiences?

    Uwe

    Uwe Wolfram, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Uwe Wolfram

    Klaus Grote Guest

    They differ in max. RAM and internal HDs. So is has the V440 max 16 GB and
    SCSI-Disks, the V480 max. 32 GB and FCAL-Disks. I think the V440 is designed
    for CPU-Performance and the V480 for I/O-Performance (ex. Databases).

    Klaus

    Klaus Grote, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Uwe Wolfram

    Uwe Wolfram Guest

    The internal disks are not an issue, they would house the system
    software only (plus some rarely used stuff). 16GB is by far enough,
    the E3500 is equipped with only 4GB. Still don't know if I should go
    for the V440 or V480 if price is not taken into account.

    Uwe

    Uwe Wolfram, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Uwe Wolfram

    godzilla Guest

    Isn't this the perfect point where you should include the price as
    consideration? I mean if the prices vary by a large amount, then whichever
    that is cheaper should be your choice.

    godzilla, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Uwe Wolfram

    Chris Guest

    I have to say the V480 will give you a good bang for the buck. If you
    do have a ton of IO then that's the best way to go. Considering
    however that you're coming off of an E3500, the performance is truly
    night and day. We just did the same exact upgrade. We moved from
    E3500 to V440s and V480s. Can go either way. Watch the pocket book
    though.

    Chris

    Chris, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Uwe Wolfram

    Uwe Wolfram Guest

    I have to say the V480 will give you a good bang for the buck. If you
    But both the V440 and the V480 have the same 6 PCI slots,
    3 at 33MHz, 3 at 66MHz, so why should the V480 have an
    advantage over the V440?

    Uwe

    Uwe Wolfram, Oct 13, 2003