    and monitor the security cameras. i the security cameras are going to
    a multiplexer and video recorder so i have several outputs. But where
    do they go into the vid card? cable tv just goes too the tv.

    mike6, Dec 1, 2004

  2. mike6

    Paul Guest

    The Asus product information is sorely lacking.

    If I were you, I'd start by checking the software interface
    for the video card. Does it offer the option for more than
    one video input ? My expectation is, the hardware can only
    digitize one video input at a time, and the video breakout
    box on the product may in fact, only support one video
    source at a time (i.e. you may not be able to plug more
    than one video input device into the breakout box at the same
    time.)

    The card appears to use an "Asus AV adapter", and I think this
    is the same one as depicted on page 9 of

    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/vga/agp/v8460ultra/e1145_v8460.pdf (3.7MB)

    Treat the rest of this post as speculation ---

    This is a breakout box, with four connectors on the front and
    a cable with 9 pins that plugs into the video card. I have no
    info at all on the 9 pin possible pinout (the connector on the
    video card).

    On the front of the breakout box, the connectors are

    S-VIN In Composite S-VID Out Composite
    (DIN Input (RCA (DIN Output (RCA
    connector) connector) connector) connector)
    ___ ___
    x x x / \ x x / \
    x x x x | x | x x | x |
    \___/ \___/
    [ ] [ ]

    The picture at the very bottom of this page, shows a possible pinout.

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php

    ___ ___
    Cr - Lu / \ Cr Lu / \
    G C G G | x | G G | x |
    \___/ \___/
    [ ] [ ]

    There are a couple of video standards involved here.
    The leftmost connector actually has two interfaces on it,
    the four pin S-VID interface (Ground,Cr,Lu,Ground) and the
    two pin composite interface (Composite,Ground).

    There is the higher quality S-VID standard, and there is the
    older composite (baseband) video. The S-VID has separate
    Chrominance (color) and Luminance (intensity). Apparently, it
    is possible to connect a composite video signal, to the
    Chrominance by itself, and still get the signal to work.
    Based on that observation, the breakout box could have the
    Cr (Chronminance), the C (composite), and the center pin
    of the RCA connector, connected together. That is why, you
    should use only one video input, unless there is some evidence
    in the control panel for the Asus software, that the inputs
    are truly separate. If you own a multimeter, you might do some
    investigation that way, to determine how the breakout box is
    wired.

    The pinout of the left connector is not, as far as I can find
    with a search engine, standardized. The outside four pins are
    standard, but the three in the center are not. For example,
    I have a 7 pin to composite _output_ adapter that I got with
    an ATI video card, and the composite output signal is actually
    on the pin labelled "-" above.

    I have a separate adapter plug I bought at a TV/stereo store,
    and it converts S-VID to composite. With an ohmmeter, I can
    see how the Cr pin on the DIN on the left above, gets connected
    to the center pin of the RCA connector.

    So, to start with, have a look at the software and see if
    the software interface offers any info about the capabilities
    of the breakout box. My expectation is, at best the breakout
    box offers multiplexing only, and at worst it offers only
    one input and one output device connected at a time. In
    any case, I don't expect you'll be simultaneously looking
    at the security cameras and the cable television at the
    same time - unless you purchase a separate TV/video digitizer
    card to simultaneously digitize a second signal.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 1, 2004