VA-503+ BIOS settings

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Kaitlyn Luna, May 22, 2006.

  1. Kaitlyn Luna

    Kaitlyn Luna Guest

    Kaitlyn Luna, May 22, 2006

  2. Kaitlyn Luna

    Kyle Guest

    Toggle the Sustained 3T Write setting in the BIOS advanced chipset
    setup, enabled=write through, disabled=write back mode.

    I would also disable "read around write" as this causes problems with
    some video cards.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, May 23, 2006

  3. Kaitlyn Luna

    farmuse Guest

    but write back gives better performance otherwise right ? IOW
    excluding her problem one would normally use write back correct ?

    farmuse, May 25, 2006
  4. Kaitlyn Luna

    Kyle Guest

    | Kyle wrote:
    | > Toggle the Sustained 3T Write setting in the BIOS advanced chipset
    | > setup, enabled=write through, disabled=write back mode.
    | >
    | > I would also disable "read around write" as this causes problems
    with
    | > some video cards.
    | >
    | but write back gives better performance otherwise right ? IOW
    | excluding her problem one would normally use write back correct ?

    There is a slight speed increase in write operations with write-back
    mode, however, write-back mode decreases the cached memory range from
    256k to 128k with a 1 meg cache size. At one time, I tried write-back
    mode and found the difference to be unnoticable, only by use of
    benchmark programs could the difference be detected, so I subsequently
    always used write-thru mode.

    Kyle, May 26, 2006
  5. Kaitlyn Luna

    farmuse Guest

    thanks, the reason I ask is I changed a P III to write-through and
    the performance dropped noticeably. But that is a different cpu etc.

    farmuse, May 26, 2006