VA-503+ not recognizing Acer CD-RW

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Louie, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Louie

    Louie Guest

    My problem:

    1. HD as Master, Acer CD-RW Slave on IDE 1, LG CD-ROM Master on IDE 2. At
    bootup, garbage characters, hangs.
    2. HD Master on IDE 1, LG CD-ROM Master on IDE 2. Boots normally.
    3. HD Master on IDE 1, Acer CD-RW Master, LG CD-ROM Slave on IDE 2, garbage
    characters, hangs.
    4. HD Master on IDE 1, LG CD-ROM Master, Acer CD-RW Slave on IDE 2, garbage
    characters, hangs.
    Auto drive detect enabled in BIOS.
    Even tried CS on the drives in all combinations, whenever Acer CD-RW is
    connected I get garbage characters and the system hangs. Take the CD-RW
    out, no problems, system boots.
    Am I doing something wrong or is the CD-RW shot? PS not big enough? Going
    bald trying to figure this out! <g>

    System specs:

    Intel Pentium MMX/233Mhz
    96MB PC100 RAM (32x64)
    Western Digital WDC AC12100L 2GB HD
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller (ATA/ATAPI)
    Acer Model #1032A-002 10x4x32 CD-RW
    LG Model #CRD-8520B 52x CD-ROM
    ESS 1969 PCI Sound card
    nVidia Vanta 16MB PCI Graphics card
    Lucent PCI Win Modem
    130 watt ATX PS
    Award BIOS v4.60PGA version JE439
    Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
    Win XP Pro OS

    Thanks for any info!
    --
    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    eat the flies to email

    Louie, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Louie

    Louie Guest

    Opps! Forgot to add:

    5. HD Master on IDE 1, Acer CD-RW Master on IDE 2, garbage characters,
    system hangs

    Louie

    Louie, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Louie

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Don't look good for the cdr/w. If it does not work properly on the
    secondary IDE channel all by itself as "master", then it's got a
    headache. Maybe check the pins in the IDE connector of the cdr/w and
    make certain none are bent over in the connector. Or, try another IDE
    cable (don't sound like that's the problem tho if you put it on the
    primary IDE channel and it would not work). BTW, you could pull the
    power on the cdrom to reduce power load as a test.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Alex Zorrilla, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Louie

    petrov Guest

    try to use 80pin cable connectors for cd-drives.

    petrov, Dec 6, 2003