    From: larrymoencurly ()
    Subject: VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card
    Original Format
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
    Date: 2004-05-20 01:42:41 PST

    What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
    netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?

    I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
    installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
    (other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
    driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With every
    other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
    including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

    If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you do
    it?

    Bruce Keith, Oct 15, 2004

  2. I also had no luck with 440BX and 810i mobos, and the same happend
    when I tried a Belkin PCI wireless card. I've been told that this
    could have to do with these mobos supporting only PCI standard 2.1
    rather than 2.2.

    www.salescircular.com lists deals at local stores and has a catagory
    just for network products. But they often leave out Fry's
    Electronics, which often has great deals, including unadvertised ones
    for networking.

    larrymoencurly, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Bruce Keith

    edi Guest

    Try freeing some sys resources by disabling, com ports and or lpt you don't
    use.
    This board is not susposed to work with agp and 1st pci used (first slot
    next to agp).

    And do not try to out smart the windows by using cr*py 4in1, (man, they have
    issues).
    Whell these are the gudelines I have to apply with my va 503+.

    edi, Oct 16, 2004
  4. I had every card out of the system, except for the wireless NIC and
    the video, and while I didn't disable the LPT, I did turn off the COM,
    onboard USB, and IRQ for the graphics card. I also tried different
    types of AGP cards (TNT2, Intel 740i), even a PCI Diamond Stealth
    2000, and telling the BIOS to reset the configuration.

    I've had strange problems with 4-in-1 drivers, but I don't think that
    they prevented the wireless NIC from being recognized because the
    other mobos were based on Intel chipsets and used Intel drivers.

    The only other mobo that was so troublesome for me was the ECS K7VTA3,
    also based on a VIA chipset. It kept locking up during DVD burns, and
    trying five different versions of the 4-in-1 drivers didn't help, only
    raising the priority of the burner program did. My SiS-based mobos
    burned fine even at lower priority.

    larrymoencurly, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Bruce Keith

    edi Guest

    If the card says it's a PCI 2.2 that could be it. To be shure, setup your
    comp. just to work and boot to windows. With just VGA, IDE, keyboard/mouse,
    nosound. Disable and pull out of the board evrything unnecesary, remember to
    properly maintain BIOS settings so there are no known conflicting config
    settings (if you leave BOIS to handle the situations where is no certan
    resolution for the conflict in hardware, the thing is that only newer boards
    (letsay 2000<) are able to perform proper hardware autoconfig handling on
    BIOS levels). Then boot windows so it configs itself. Turnoff win. Conect
    the adapter and boot win again. At this point everything should still work
    and we sholud have a 'New Hardware..' popped if P'N'P works right. Sometime
    after device is P'N, just wont fuc*in' 'P! . But if the adapter is
    incompatible than thats the end of the story, witch should be commented with
    apropriate BIOS error code by the systems 'bi-os' or the adapters 'bi-os'.

    The main issue 4in1 gave me was that it messes up Windows so that Win is
    unable to
    maintain proper IRQ and DMA hanling for some BIOS resources like PCI and
    ISA, and has issues with IDE ATA channels.
    But everything is fine if you leave Windows original config by not applying
    4in1. Then Windows sucessfuly handles lack of free BIOS resources.
    Unfortunatly there is no known 4in1 uninstaller to me, so to revert the
    situation windows reinstall should be apllied.

    For example this is what happend to me. My Win would 'drop' IDE devices
    after apply of 4in1. And it looked like the board is unable to handle to
    many devices. But after time doing clean Win installs my system was able to
    handle firs IDE channel with two master ATAPI devices and one master IDE
    device driven by PCI Ultra ATA 100 controler and some other PCI and ISA
    cards, com ports also, LPT. . ..
    But after 4in1 install I would loose one ATAPI device handled by onboard IDE
    controler.
    So if you dont really need else than AGP from 4in1, dont instal .inf and IDE
    sections in 4in1 setup.

    In addition to some VA503+ hangs.There were problems with PCI IDE controlers
    and enabled onboard IDE controler's channels.

    edi, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Bruce Keith

    brucester4 Guest

    I tried the same DWL-G510 in an old IBM Aptiva Pentium 200, and it
    worked fine - so I suspect it is a problem related to the VA503+. The
    Aptiva wouldn't be PCI 2.2 would it?

    Bruce

    brucester4, Dec 22, 2004
  8. No, a computer as old as a Pentium 200 would only be PCI 2.1.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 23, 2004
  9. Bruce Keith

    Wblane Guest

    You might try looking at your BIOS settings. Sometimes certain VA503+ BIOS
    settings cause problems. I can't remember which ones off-hand but if you email
    me I'll try to get them to you.

    Wblane, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Bruce Keith

    bugalu Guest

    hELLO ALL

    Had the same problem with my DFI PA61 mobo and the D link DWL g510
    card. The mobo wouldn't recognize the card. The DFI mobo has a VIA
    chipset. Switched the mobo out with a Giga-Byte ga 6bxe. It has an
    Intel chipset. The D-Link works like a champ!!! Make sure to follow
    thier installation instructions to the letter and it should work.

    SYOTF

    D..

    bugalu, Feb 21, 2005