VA-503A which BIOS? K6-plus and AT PS

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Keith Dawson, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Keith Dawson

    Keith Dawson Guest

    Keith Dawson, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Keith Dawson

    Robert Akins Guest

    I am not aware of an equivalent of the JE4333APM BIOS for the VA-503A. I
    believe the JN4116/JO4116 is the last revision available; you can research
    on Google for APM issues on the 503A.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Keith Dawson

    Keith Dawson Guest

    Thanks Robert. Hoping this is "no news is good news" is true!

    I purchased this mobo after all, but I understand from the seller the
    AMR slot is present, but there was no audio connections - is that right
    there should be a *card*, not just a riser bracket?
    The manual is a bit lightweight on this so have not seen any pictures of
    what should have been with it, although I understand if the AMR slot is
    present it has on-board audio, is that right?

    Any 503A users out there who can enlighten me with their experiences?
    TIA

    Keith

    Keith Dawson, Oct 22, 2003
  4. My 503A came with an audio bracket that plugs directly into the motherboard,
    but the sound is quite poor. I ended up buying a PCI sound card instead.

    Theoretically, the AMR slot could be used for an add-on or optional audio
    card, but I have never seen one. It can also be used for a modem. I have used
    an AMR modem on another computer, but I have not tried it on this one.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Keith Dawson

    Robert Akins Guest

    That seems to be the case in general... If you can find a compatible device
    that will work with your board, it ends up being poor functioning anyway so
    you yank it out and replace it with the real thing. I think motherboard
    designers include them so dealers could toss in the modem/sound card/NIC for
    a few more bucks and increase their profit. Unfortunately, dealers usually
    don't fall for the scheme so it just wastes space that would have been
    better off containing another PCI slot.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Keith Dawson

    Robert Akins Guest

    In my experience, the AMR/CNR cards contain circuitry that is not essential
    to the operation of the motherboard, or is not necessary to be placed
    directly on the motherboard. Most of these type devices are about 2"-
    2-1/2" wide and the length of the case bracket. I wouldn't consider the
    board to have onboard sound unless all the electronics for the sound were
    located on the board, with just a header for connection of the case bracket
    (for AT motherboards) with the jacks.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Oct 24, 2003