VA503+ Harddrive > 60GB Epilogue

Discussion in 'FIC' started by /.., Dec 14, 2003.

  1. /..

    /.. Guest

    Hey all,

    Thanks for the advice. I went with the bios flash to JE4333; no
    problems flashing, booted ok, accepted all old bios values and it
    works great.

    Installed the Maxtor 120GB UATA drive, partitioned and formatted
    ext3. Ran some tests using hdparm (-t and -T)
    "ibm" script:

    #!/bin/bash
    case $1 in
    t|T|-t|-T)
    echo "Now testing read timing from buffers/disk of: "
    echo " /dev/hda && /dev/hdb && /dev/hdc "
    hdparm -T -t /dev/hda
    hdparm -T -t /dev/hdb
    hdparm -T -t /dev/hdc
    ;;
    *)
    hdparm -m16 -c1 -k1 /dev/hda
    hdparm -m16 -c1 -k1 /dev/hdb
    hdparm -m16 -c1 -k1 /dev/hdc
    ;;
    esac

    # mount
    [...]
    /dev/hdc1 9.2G 17M 8.7G 1% /hdc/1
    /dev/hdc5 46G 17M 44G 1% /hdc/5
    /dev/hdc6 58G 17M 55G 1% /hdc/6

    # ibm -t
    Now testing read timing from buffers/disk of:
    /dev/hda && /dev/hdb && /dev/hdc

    /dev/hda: # IBM-DTTA-351680
    Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.57 seconds = 81.53 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 5.23 seconds = 12.24 MB/sec

    /dev/hdb: # IBM-DTTA-351680
    Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.58 seconds = 81.01 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 5.27 seconds = 12.14 MB/sec

    /dev/hdc: # Maxtor 6Y120P0
    Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.55 seconds = 82.58 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.16 seconds = 20.25 MB/sec

    Looks like the winner on this board, though it could be the larger
    cache built into the drive that gives the higher buffered disk read
    speed.

    Onto moving files and rebuilding links.

    /..

    /.., Dec 14, 2003