    iPhone via WiFi instead of AT&T Wireless when I'm in my room.

    (Oh, if you're interested, I'll be in NYC for my 50th anniversary
    high-school reunion.)

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010

  2. Or you could just pack a cable-- or use the one in your room there-- or
    borrow one from the front desk...

    Joseph Capgras, May 25, 2010

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Charles Guest

    Sounds like a plan. I have run into the same situation. Ethernet in
    rooms and Wi Fi only in public areas.

    Charles, May 25, 2010
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Charles Guest

    Besides being tethered to a desk, one would be sharing the hotel
    network with who knows what security. With the Airport Express her
    laptop will be behind a NAT router. I always take my Airport Express
    and if there is Ethernet I use that with the AE rather than the hotel
    WiFi.

    Charles, May 25, 2010
  5. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    if they can sniff packets on the wired side they can sniff them on the
    wireless side. very few places isolate the ports.

    Guest, May 25, 2010
  6. Or you could just pack a cable-- or use the one in your room there-- or
    borrow one from the front desk...[/QUOTE]

    Oh, I am packing a cable, so I can connect the Airport Express to the
    ethernet jack in the room.

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  7. Besides being tethered to a desk, one would be sharing the hotel network
    with who knows what security. With the Airport Express her laptop will
    be behind a NAT router. I always take my Airport Express and if there is
    Ethernet I use that with the AE rather than the hotel WiFi.[/QUOTE]

    You're both missing an important point in my original message.

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  8. The last hotel I was at had both Ethernet and WiFi in the rooms. It
    wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd night that I discovered that $12/day charge
    was only for Ethernet, WiFi was free. I still don't understand the
    reasoning behind that, since they all end up going through the same pipe
    to the ISP.

    Barry Margolin, May 25, 2010
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Glen Labah Guest

    No it won't!

    Because she won't be using a laptop. She said she was taking it for use
    with her iPhone!

    (Of course, having to take a network device like an AirPort that is
    several times larger than her iPhone seems like a bit of irony.)

    Just out of curiosity, I decided to plug in my laptop on my latest trip
    from Portland to Seattle on Amtrak. The Pacific Parlor Car (the first
    class lounge car for those with tickets in the compartment sleepers) has
    free WiFi, and since that uses the same route I thought it might be
    interesting to see what the AirPort in my PowerBook could see.

    When crossing the Columbia River into Washington I started to be able to
    pick up some coffee shop in the Vancouver, Washington area. I also
    picked up a few secure networks. Other than that, I didn't pick up much
    of anything.

    i can't help but wonder what methods are used to get the signal to the
    moving train in the first place, especially in the many tunnels south of
    Eugene.

    Glen Labah, May 25, 2010
  10. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    No. Michelle is going to her 50th annyversary highschool reunion !

    Says a lot about society when, for a short trip, ethernet cables and an
    airport hub are as important as underwear and a toothbrush !!!!

    JF Mezei, May 25, 2010
  11. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Satellite links with fallback to mobile phone links to a hub on the
    train, and then to cells in each car.

    Your laptop is connected to an antenna inside your car, so you dfon't
    lose WiFi when going through tunnels, but your packets don't go to/from
    the internet.

    JF Mezei, May 25, 2010
  12. And Airport Express isn't all that much bigger than an iPhone:

    iPhone:
    Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
    Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
    Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
    Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

    Airport express:
    3.7 inches (94.01 mm) by
    2.95 inches (75.00 mm) by
    1.12 inches (28.5 mm)
    Weight: 7.4 ounces (210 grams)

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  13. iPhone's got no ethernet ?[/QUOTE]

    Bingo!

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  14. No. Michelle is going to her 50th annyversary highschool reunion ![/QUOTE]

    Although that's true, the important part I was referring to is that the
    iPhone has no ethernet.
    Actually, they're not that important. If I didn't have the AE, I wouldn't
    buy one just to take it with me.

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  15. The last one I was in also had both, but both were free. I didn't have the
    AE with me, so I had to use the hotel's flaky WiFi or 3G.

    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2010
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

    When I first got my PDA for the main purpose of not forgetting to
    go to meetings, I was impressed by the irony of folks immediately
    trying to sell me a case that would prevent fitting it into my pocket
    _and_ prevent my hearing the reminders.

    Wes Groleau, May 25, 2010
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    What worries me about the iPad is that it doesn't go into one's pocket
    (well, perhaps it does if your name is Koko).

    IMO, that was one of the problems with the Newton - it was too bulky.

    Tim Streater, May 25, 2010
  18. Michelle Steiner

    Jim Gibson Guest

    Jim Gibson, May 25, 2010
  19. Cool! I did that a couple of years ago. Great fun.
    The girls were all into hugging. In recent years
    I've been irritated by my inability to remember names;
    at the Reunion I remembered everyone!

    Cheers, N.

    Nollaig MacKenzie, May 25, 2010