Vantec Aeroflow, TT TR2-M1, TT TR2-M2 compared.

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Wes Newell, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Prices including shiipping.
    TR2-M1 $13
    TR2-M2 $15
    Aeroflow $23

    Test system:
    Abit KT7-Raid, 1600+ Palomino overclocked and over voltaged to 1760MHz @
    1.85vcore. This is the hottest cpu I have.

    The M1 and M2 aren't really that close to each other in design, The M1 HS
    is wider and has an 80x25mm fan. The M2 and Aeroflow have the same YS Tech
    TMD fan 70x15mm 36cfm.

    Idle temps
    Cooler MB CPU Fan Diff. Noise
    TR2-M1 26.5 44.8` 2800 18.3 Low
    TR2-M2 27.4 51.3 3200 23.4 Low
    TR2-M2 27.5 46.7 4500 19.2 Low
    TR2-M2 27.4 44.2 5600 16.8 Med
    Aeroflow 27.0 40.8 5600 13.8 Med

    Load temps
    TR2-M1 26.7 50.4 2800 23.7 Low
    TR2-M2 27.8 66.8 3200 39.0 Low
    TR2-M2 27.8 54.9 4500 27.1 Low
    TR2-M2 27.9 51.3 5600 23.4 Med
    Aeroflow 27.4 45.5 5600 18.1 Med

    Notes
    I had already removed, lapped, and reinstalled the cooper block on the M1.
    Nothing was done to the others, except the fan burned out on the Aeroflow
    and I used the same TMD for both the Aeroflow and M2 test.

    Conclusion
    I was a little surpised, but the Aeroflow is a pretty clear winner here.
    However, I think replacing the slow very quiet fan on the M1 may have
    actually brought it close to the Aeroflow. I was a little disappointed in
    the performance of the M2. I had expected better from all the reviews I've
    read. Still, any one of these should provide a very suitable cooler for
    any of the XP cpu's. On a stock 2100+ Tbred B core running 1733MHz @ 1.60v
    vcore, they all kept idle temps in low 30's and in the low 40's under
    load. So take your pick.:)

    If you rely to this, please remove cross posting.

    Wes Newell, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Wes Newell

    Bill Guest

    Thanks Wes, I've got 2 TR2-M2s here at present, and have installed a
    couple others for other people. After lapping one of the MR2s I got a 4
    degree drop in temps on a 2400+/1.8v running 12.5 x 180. Temps range
    from ~32C to ~45C, fans set high. The not lapped one on a 2500+/1.8v
    Barton runs ~35C to ~52C running 11.5 x 200, fans set high. Pretty good
    little cooler for the money. Especially since the fan speed is variable.

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Wes Newell

    BF Guest

    As per your suggestion I bought the TR2-M2 with a 2100+B core about two
    weeks ago. At the time you had a TR2-M1 and felt the M2 would be a good way
    to go. Well , I agree!
    I am very happy with the TR2-M2. I am running the 2100+ at 2100MHZ. With the
    fan on medium (about 4300rpm) I have a MB temp of 27, CPU idle 33 and CPU
    load 45 with a room temp of 23. I don't even hear it compared to the case
    fans. Thanks again for helping me make the decision to go with this combo.

    BF, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Wes Newell

    scsiguy Guest

    scsiguy, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Actually, It's a review of the TR2-M4. Compared to a Coolermaster. I
    didn't see any of the ones I tested in the review. It does look Like the
    M4 is an M1 with a blower fan though., but I really don't see what this
    has to do with my little comparison.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Wes Newell

    BF Guest

    What is your point???? Wes was not even talking about TR2-M4. He was
    comparing M1 and M2.

    BF, Aug 23, 2003
  7. FWIW, I bought a TR2-M2 based on earlier discussions here, "just to see". I
    have been using Vantec Aeroflows on XP 2500+ running at 2200MHz in an Antec
    SOHO tower with one 80mm intake and two 80mm exhaust fans. My results
    closely follow yours, showing the Vantec to be a measurably superior unit.
    That said, I also agree that the TR2-M2 does an acceptable job, even in a
    mild overclock situation.

    Peter van der Goes, Aug 25, 2003