    Aside from running a cron job to do this, does anyone know of a
    switch to have the spool directory cleaned out automatically?

    -Chris

    Christopher J. Basten, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Yep, this is the way it works. Don't ask me why. I've never heard of
    it getting to 21GB, but if you print a lot, I suppose it's possible.
    There's no real upper limit, it just grows and grows.
    You could always use Macaroni (see below), which will take care of this
    for you.

    Tom Harrington, Feb 11, 2004

  3. I discovered something else. I found that if I killed /usr/sbin/cupsd,
    then the files stopped appearing. This also meant that I couldn't
    print. Next, I restarted /usr/sbin/cupsd, and the files started
    reappearing. Finally, I killed the 'Server Admin' app (which had been
    running), and the files stopped appearing, even though /usr/sbin/cupsd
    was running. I think that there is a bug in Server Admin that is the
    culprit. I had been using Server Admin to manage a cluster I had set
    up. It looks like Server Admin was creating about 40-50 files a
    minute, and they looked like printer control files.

    Christopher J. Basten, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Christopher J. Basten

    videoxfer Guest

    This directory is empty on both osx machines I use. One of these
    machines prints to a local usb printer, the other prints through a
    spooler running on a Solaris host. I'm not running printer-sharing on
    either Mac, so maybe this problem is specific to that situation.

    videoxfer, Feb 11, 2004
  5. That would be because cd is a shell builtin, not a separate program
    for sudo to run. You could sudo ls to see what is there and then sudo
    rm /var/cups/tmp/whatever a specific file called whatever, or sudo
    bash to get a root shell.

    Jussi Piitulainen, Feb 11, 2004
  6. It's possible that you're seeing something specific to server setups.
    However it's by no means necessary for Server Admin to be running for
    CUPS temp files to pile up in that directory-- it'll happen on any Mac
    (with 10.2 or better) that people print from.

    Tom Harrington, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Hmm.. Perhaps it only happens if you use a shared network printer.

    Tom Harrington, Feb 11, 2004