    SP2 issue?

    Thanks
    NBK

    NBK, Sep 9, 2004

  2. NBK

    dave Guest

    Sounds like your hardrive is starting to FAIL. you better backup just
    incase..

    dave, Sep 9, 2004

  3. NBK

    NBK Guest

    This is happening to 2 of my drives

    NBK, Sep 10, 2004
  4. NBK

    Paul Guest

    When you measure the PSU voltages, are they within 5% of their spec
    value ? It is possible the disk drives could do an internal "restart"
    if the voltages happen to dip for a moment. It would be more obvious
    if both drives did it simultaneously. So, it could be a PSU problem.

    When feeding the ATI9800, there should be one drive power cable that
    goes only to the ATI9800. You shouldn't power the 9800 and a disk
    drive with the same cable. The 9800 could cause a voltage drop in the
    cable.

    It could also be the IDE interface on the motherboard. To eliminate
    multiple drive problems, ideally you would want to test the suspect
    drive alone on the IDE cable. That is to eliminate some interaction
    between two drives on the same cable. There have been posts here,
    of people who had interference between devices plugged on the same
    IDE cable, so you may have to either strip down the configuration
    a bit, or use a plug-in PCI card as a source of more IDE interfaces,
    to do some debugging.

    In short, just about anything could be broken here, but disk drives
    and power supplies are known bad actors, so suspect them first.
    On the motherboard, the voltage conversion circuits are under the
    most stress, while the big chips on the board should be pretty
    reliable. And, of course, backup with your burner, with verify
    turned on, so you'll have your info in a safe place. I learned
    that expensive lesson once, by choosing to turn off a computer
    with a defective disk drive, telling myself "I can back it up
    tomorrow". When tomorrow came, the drive died with a spectacular
    "sproing" from inside the drive (implying the head assembly
    snagged in the head lock on that model), and all chances to backup
    were gone.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 10, 2004
  5. NBK

    Bill Smith Guest

    I agree that without actually hearing them, it may be the drive(s)...

    -

    ---snippage---
    how do you know it's both ?
    if this is true, then maybe the controler is acting up.

    I would disconnect the cd/dvd drives and try running the hdd's on the
    secondary channel just to see if the error repeats.

    If it knocks again, try running one of the drives each by itself or
    run the maxblast disk utilities, that may pick something up...

    Bill Smith, Sep 10, 2004
  6. NBK

    GMAN Guest

    Do you happen to have the actual release 1017 bios or the beta 1017.04
    version?

    I had the beta version for a long time and i started having the same click
    issues and lockups for like 20 seconds , then it would unfreeze for a few
    seconds and then repeat over and over. My F: drive seemed to be the one doing
    the clanking sound. Also when i would reboot on occasion the drives on the
    raid connectors would not show up and a full cold boot was required.
    Basically I finally realized that the beta also had forced all drives to work
    in UDMA mode 2 instead of the mode 5 that they actually are and this was
    definately a bios issue. I proceeded to download the actual 1017 from asus and
    even though it had the same 1017.04 name to it , it was definately the final
    1017 release. When it was installed, it fixed the UDMA issue and also the hard
    drive mysteriously stopped locking up. I am absolutely positive it was the
    beta bios at fault since i have tested the drive with the powermax utility
    from here till sunday and there are no errors or SMART errors on any of my
    drives.

    Hope this helps.

    GMAN, Sep 11, 2004
  7. NBK

    NBK Guest

    I have the actual 1017 BIOS Release... I think something is wrong with
    the IDE port...

    NBK, Sep 11, 2004
  8. NBK

    GMAN Guest

    Always try the most obvious first, try a new cable.

    GMAN, Sep 11, 2004
  9. NBK

    NBK Guest

    NBK, Sep 13, 2004
  10. NBK

    W Shumaker Guest

    Are you sure your drives are not just powering down?

    W Shumaker, Sep 16, 2004
  11. NBK

    W Shumaker Guest

    I was changing the processor on my Mboard and seem to have
    bent some of the socket connectors. Is it possible to disassemble
    the socket without removing the zif socket from the mboard?
    If I could just remove the top sliding assembly...

    For those of you using the Artic Silver heat sink paste, it
    sticks really well and care should be exercised when removing
    the heat sink. I wanted to test a new processor and managed to
    pull the P4 out of the zif socket when trying to separate the heat
    sink from the processor. Putting a new processor in, and closing
    the lever seems to have bent some of the internal connectors.
    (one of those late night things I shold have waited til morning.)

    \A/yne

    W Shumaker, Sep 16, 2004
  12. NBK

    NBK Guest

    I have that option turned off.

    NBK, Sep 17, 2004
  13. NBK

    NBK Guest

    I usually hear a clik from the hard drive and then a hard freeze or BSOD.
    NBK

    NBK, Sep 17, 2004
  14. NBK

    W Shumaker Guest

    sometimes when disk drives are starting to fail, they attempt to
    re-calibrate by reading a specific calibration track on the disk.
    If that is the case, get your data off the disk pronto.

    Wayne

    W Shumaker, Sep 20, 2004