    Can the fan speed on the DELL GX280 be varied in the BIOS or otherwise?
    This unit is somewhat noisy. I have a HP 7100 which is quieter as the fan
    speed can be slowed down.

    jm7, Sep 25, 2005

  2. jm7

    Jay B Guest

    i thought the bios allows you to set it to 3 different settings, quiet
    being one of them, that is the setting i use and it is ample fast to
    keep the system cool.

    Jay B, Sep 25, 2005

  3. jm7

    Don Enderton Guest

    Don Enderton, Sep 25, 2005
  4. "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
    The GX280 should be virtually silent unless it's running hot. I have
    several of those units in both the Small Form Factor and Mid Tower. The mid
    towers never make noise. The SFF will ramp up the fans for short periods of
    time when they get hot but that doesn't last very long.

    I'd suggest a good cleaning. Clean out all the dust including dust build up
    on the fan and in the fins of the CPU heat sync. If you're running a vid
    card that has a fan, I'd look at it as well That fan could be the culprit.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Sep 25, 2005
  5. jm7

    Fixer Guest

    Youve got a known fault with you Gx280 its adown to some bad capaicitors
    Intel used on the boards for Dell you need to contact Dell ~Support and you
    need the Systemboard replacing and the CPU

    Trust me on this one we do about 5-10 a Day in the UK

    Fixer, Sep 25, 2005
  6. jm7

    jm7 Guest

    Thanks Jay but I think as the others mentioned - the QUIET refers to the
    hard drive and not the Fan,

    jm7, Sep 26, 2005