    Specifically, if I need to start up the computer off the CD, will it
    work?

    Thanks in advance,

    dfritzin, May 24, 2006

  2. No. It's a question of the disc's OS version, not just the version of
    TechTool Deluxe. As of yet, the only optical discs that will start up an
    Intel Mac are the Apple DVDs that come with it. Intel Macs are still
    somewhat bleeding edge, and it usually takes at least six months for the
    utility software to catch up to major new hardware.

    Apple currently provides a downloadable image of a TechTool Deluxe CD
    for AppleCare Protection Plan customers with PowerPC Macs that won't
    boot from the disc that came in the APP box. (See
    <https://support.apple.com/techtooldeluxe/main?id=dl>.) They'll probably
    also do this for APP customers with Intel Macs -- eventually.

    Also, Micromat usually offers APP customers an upgrade to the latest
    version of TechTool Pro, but they're still pretty indefinite ("near
    future") about when an Intel version will be ready.

    Neill Massello, May 24, 2006

  3. dfritzin

    dfritzin Guest

    Yeah, the OS version was part of what I was thinking about (though I
    didn't explicitely state it). I was also worried that Techtool Deluxe
    wouldn't recognize some of the hardware.
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.

    dfritzin, May 24, 2006