vertex/pixel shader ATI 7200

Discussion in 'ATI' started by candeh, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. candeh

    candeh Guest

    Can anyone tell me if the AIW Radeon 7200 card has programmable
    Vertex/Pixel Shader support?

    The only reason I ask is because the Silent Hill 3 video game requires
    this to run, and apparently my card does not have this capability. I
    have tried using the 3DAnalyze software that I have read about on
    various gaming websites, and I made sure to adjust the settings within
    the software that those guys recommended, but I think they were mainly
    talking about issues encountered with the GeForce cards (which, by the
    way, the game does not support.)

    The error message was as such:

    "This game requires a video card with a minimum of 32MB VRAM and
    programmable Vertex/PixelShader support. The application will now
    close."

    I have gotten the game to run through the opening FMV sequences, and I
    was able to go through the options, etc. screens but once it goes
    "live" (i.e. the game actually starts) it only lasts for a few seconds
    and then it will crash to desktop. I've tried reducing the bells and
    whistles as far as possible and still no go. It all comes down to the
    vertex/pixel shader dealio.

    Any help? I'd sure appreciate it. TIA

    candeh, Feb 5, 2004

  2. candeh

    Sleepy Guest

    sorry but SH3 requires a Dx8 compliant card or better - in other words a
    Radeon 8500 or higher and a Geforce 3 or higher (and no MX cards).
    i dont think 3danalyse will help in this case.

    Sleepy, Feb 5, 2004

  3. candeh

    candeh Guest

    The 7200 is definitely Dx8 compliant. Isn't it? Should be, gosh darn
    it. It runs every other game out there that requires 9.0b or whatever
    it is... I'm running the latest DX components as it is. I've went
    over all of this in my mind, and it seems that the biggest caveat is
    the non-programmable vertex/pixel shader thing. I do have the minimum
    64 megs of VRAM on this card. Hell, I can even capture some awesome
    video from multiple sources with it. However, I can't run this damned
    game. I had no problems with SH1 and 2 for PC using this card.

    candeh, Feb 5, 2004
  4. candeh

    Asestar Guest

    If you can run the 4th demo, Nature Demo, in 3dmark2001se, then your gfx
    card is dx8.0! if not, then it's probably dx7 + .
    I think radeon 7 series did not had dx8.0 hardware support.

    Asestar, Feb 5, 2004
  5. candeh

    Dan Guest

    As I remeber correctly that card did support some of the features in direct
    x 8, I think the vertex shaders. However they were disabled in the drivers
    for some reason I don't understand.

    You will not be able to play that game on that card. You will need a new
    card.

    Dan

    Dan, Feb 5, 2004
  6. candeh

    DaveW Guest

    No, your card does not offer pixel/shader support.

    DaveW, Feb 6, 2004