Vertex Shader and Fragment Shader in one Assembly file / ARB program ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    I am wondering if it's possible to have "vertex shader assembly" and "pixel
    shader assembly" in one file or arb program... because right now it seems
    CGFX files need to be compiled twice with cgc... one time to extract the
    vertex assembly... and one time to extract the fragment assembly ?!? Leading
    to duplicate things which worries me a little bit... for now I will assume
    it's not a problem and opengl/cg will share these semantics and fields... if
    not then maybe it's not much of a problem... (?).

    So I am wondering if there is an "assembly equivalent" of a cgfx file ?!?

    The latest cgc compiler doesn't really seem to have support for cgfx ?!?

    However the runtime does seem to have some api's for "effects" ?

    Problem is the runtime can't extract the assembly from an effect ?!?

    So I would need to use the cgc compiler to do that ?!?

    Which is a bit strange... to do it twice... ;)

    And it also defeats the purpose of a cgfx file kinda... because then I still
    need to specify the entry points... for the cgfx file... ?! ;)

    But maybe by combining "runtime api/dll" and "cgc" compiler this could be
    automated...

    Maybe the runtime can extract the "entry points" ?!? and then they could be
    passed to the cgc compiler... not sure about that...

    This would do a tripple compile ?! ;)

    For now I can work around this oddity... though I would like to see some
    cgfx support in the cgc compiler... that would be nice ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 5, 2009