    Does anyone here know how to fix it? Your advice will be very much
    appreciated. Thanks.

    LZ

    lzhang9830, Oct 28, 2006

  2. lzhang9830

    Ben Myers Guest

    What kind of noise? Is it a loud clicking sound, possible hard drive? Whining
    or whirring coming from the back of the chassis, either the processor cooling
    fan or the fan inside the power supply? Does the noise begin loudly when the
    computer is first powered on, then get a little quieter? Is the computer used
    in either a dusty, dirty environment or around animals, like cats and dogs? ...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 28, 2006

  3. lzhang9830

    lzhang9830 Guest

    Ben, Thanks !

    Yes, the noise begin loudly when the HP is first turned on, and
    them become quieter after a short while, which I think iis fine to me.
    The problem is when the HP runs for a while, it starts noise again, and
    the noise becomes louder and persists for 3-5 minutes or longer, and
    then quiet again. This will repeats durin the whole period I am using
    the PC, which is very very annoying. I guess it is something wrong with
    the CPU cooling system. Do you happen to know whether this problem
    can be resoved by replacing the fans inside the PC? How hard is it to
    do the replacement by myself? Is ther any "soft" solution? Your advice

    lzhang9830, Oct 28, 2006
  4. lzhang9830

    Ben Myers Guest

    The most likely cause of the noise is a failing CPU cooling fan. Remove the
    side panel from the chassis, power it up, and when the noise starts,
    ***CAREFULLY*** put your finger on the top of the cooling fan to see if that
    stops the noise or changes the pitch. Don't touch the fan blades, but rather
    the circular part on top of which the fan blades are an integral part.

    I have not been inside your model of Pavilion, but the fan should be pretty easy
    to replace. There may be a small plastic hood over it, to guide the air from
    the outside to the fan itself. The CPU fan may well be a common one, for which
    you can find a match either on-line or in a decent computer store (e.g. Fry's).
    It is not absolutely necessary to have an HP branded fan. The fan's 3-pin
    power connector on the motherboard is industry-standard, not like Dell's, for
    example.

    The fan itself is held to the CPU by two pieces of metal with four clips,
    typically latching onto plastic frame surroinding the CPU socket. You need to
    be really careful removing the fan, too, so you don't fracture the plastic.

    Before replacing the fan, you might try cleaning out the inside of the chassis
    with a can of compressed air and a soft bristle artist's paint brush. Use the
    brush to dislodge dust and dirt, especially in and around the CPU fan, then
    blast it away with compressed air. Do this out of doors, so your lungs don't
    suck up the dust... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 28, 2006
  5. lzhang9830

    lzhang9830 Guest

    Ben,
    Thank you very much for your kind advice. I will follow your
    instruction to check up
    the CPU cooling fan and replace it if this is the problem. Thanks
    again for your sincere help.

    LZ

    lzhang9830, Oct 29, 2006