Very, very, very CHEAP AMD system - Suggestions. .

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Wayne Youngman, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have been studying the *value* end of the market to try and work out the
    cheapest way to get a 2Ghz machine off the ground, something that is fast
    and *stable*, but a machine that isn't designed to have top benchmarks in 3D
    games, but rather would be used mainly as an office/business system (MS
    Office, Internet, etc). On top of this a little sprinkle of multimedia, say
    some light MP3 listening and an occasional DVD (maybe DivX).

    I'm just concentrating on the following pieces of hardware:

    CPU - HSF
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics (built in?)

    Running *Windows XP Pro*. The CPU I have been looking at is the 1700+ or
    the 1800+ as they are very cheap in the UK at the moment ( and overclock
    nicely). Memory I am thinking PC2700 256MB (maybe 512MB?)I could use even
    PC2100 but I would like to have a wee bit of *headroom* on the 266FSB T-Bred
    for overclocking (default PC2100). . .so then we get to the tricky choice...
    .. .which is the Motherboard chipset I should go with. . .Maybe the original
    GeForce or say KT400?. . . .basically something that works well for simple
    needs (& stable) but also represents *Great Value*. I'm even considering
    the nForce 400 chipset (without Dual channel).

    have any of you done some nice *value* builds, if so plz share your
    experiences with me.

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Wayne Youngman

    Frank Hagan Guest

    Shuttle AN35N $63 delivered from NewEgg!
    XP1700+ T'bred $45 delivered from NewEgg!
    Spend on memory (good PC3200) and Power Supply (Antec)!

    FRH

    Frank Hagan, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Ed Guest

    newegg ships to the UK now?

    Ed, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Wayne Youngman

    Ed Guest

    I been messing around with a barebone PC a buddy of mine got for his 14
    year old. It's a PCCHIPS 810DLU, has 1-LAN, 4-USB 2, Sound and Graphics,
    2 PCI, modem riser, NO AGP slot, board sells for under $50(US).

    I installed WinXP Pro SP1 and all "26" (36.1MB) of Windows
    Critical/Security updates today. Did all the memtest and prime 95 crap
    last night.

    XP 2400+ (2GHz)
    512MB PC2700
    RAM and FSB at 133MHz (266 ddr)
    RAM CAS @ 2.5, Ram timings = "Normal"
    Sandra 2003 Pro, Memory =1712/1634, Multimedia=11107/11833
    CPUMark99 scored a 161.

    Pretty nice board for a non-gamer, but playing a DVD I noticed some
    minor pixelation. Pictures look great though, and sound is decent.

    Ed

    Ed, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Wayne Youngman

    S.Heenan Guest

    Abit NF7 v2.0 nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard £64.57
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Retail- approx £46.00
    Crucial 512MB DDR PC2700 CAS 2.5 £70.38
    GeForce 4 MX440-8x 64MB DDR AGP RP £39.50
    Total:
    £219.45

    All prices include VAT
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk
    http://www.dabs.com/home.asp

    S.Heenan, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Wayne Youngman

    MrDancer Guest

    BioStar has some inexpensive boards with lotsa stuff on them. I built one
    for a friend and it seems to be working well. It has integrated video,
    USB2.0, LAN, uses either DDR or SDRAM, AthlonXP, etc. and was around $53USD.

    If you don't need the speed, TigerDirect has a barebones Soyo system
    (850Mhz, 128mb ram) for $70USD, all you need to provide is hard drive and
    CD-ROM drive (oh yeah, KVM, too). Not a bad system for the price, was
    probably state-of-the-art three years ago... would make a nice system for
    the kids or for an internet gateway.

    MrDancer, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Wayne Youngman

    Chris Guest

    XP1700+ B chip -retail £47.50 ish dabs.com
    Abit kd7 (non-raid) £57.50 ish dabs.com
    256mb pc2700 ddr ram £30 pcworld!!
    gf2mx 400 (MSI's are 256bit gpu) £cant remember but prolly cheap!

    chris

    Chris, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Wayne Youngman

    Frank Weston Guest

    Why not consider used? I've got the following setup that may be of
    interest:

    Soyo SY-K7V Dragon + motherboard with setup disks, manual and cables.
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ processor
    Two 256Mb DIMMS Crucial PC 2100 memory
    Alpha Pal 8045 heatsink and fan
    ATI 9000 Pro 128mb video card

    $175 plus actual cost of shipping direct to you. This stuff is all in
    excellent condition and never overclocked.

    Frank Weston, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Wayne Youngman

    Dennis Roark Guest

    If you can get your hands on a Shuttle AK32E with the AMD 1700+ Tbred,
    makes for a great system. The AK32E is $52 in the US, but should be
    available in the UK as well (Asian manufacture.) Just built such a
    system and I am very pleased. I am currently not running overclocked
    and want to step it up a little at a time. But I have tried the fsb
    (non oc at 133) up to 153 without problems. The board takes either 2
    DDR ram or 2 SDRAM (but not both at same time.) If you have some SDRAM,
    this might also save some funds. So far, can't make this board crash or
    misbehave. Built in audio (not 6 channel) but no onboard video or LAN.
    Enermax has a 300 W ($30 US) psu that runs this board fine. Running XP
    Pro with 384 Mb SDRAM. Completely stable.

    --
    Dennis Roark

    Starting Points:
    www.home.earthlink.net/~denro

    Dennis Roark, Jul 25, 2003
  10. Wayne Youngman

    AD C Guest

    The problem here is, if the chip gets cooked, then you wasted a board.
    It might be cheap, but not the best idea.

    AD C, Jul 25, 2003
  11. Hi again all,

    getting a nice pay packet soon so I will be able to buy a few samples and
    play. Still trying to dig up some more info on the orginal N-Force chipset,
    that is meant to have decent IGP onboard. However as the current range of
    chipsets/mobos are getting price cuts this whole thread may be moot!

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jul 25, 2003
  12. From what I can gather it is easier to get a thoroughbred b xp1800 cpu than
    it is to get a thoroughbred b xp1700. As the t'bred b cpu's overclock waaay
    more than the t'bred 'a' or palimono core xp's via the fsb (to approx the
    level of an xp2800) get a xp1800. Also if you can afford it cunsider getting
    3200 memory or keep that as an upgrade option.

    For the case and psu I can heartily recommend www.quietpc.com .They deal in
    the UK. They have a good reputation for their power supplies and mine never
    let me down. I have also ordered their AccoustiCase which, from what you
    say, is out of your price range at the moment.

    If you plan to do much work on the computer or do much of the MP3/DVD/Divx
    stuff then computer fan noise must be a consideration so buy some fan speed
    resistors as well. The graphics card should be fanless if you don't plan to
    play many games. So should the motherboard as any fan noise is a bad thing.

    For the same reason a quality heeatsink is also important. I'd recommend the
    SLK-900 (from www.overclockers.co.uk) and a 120mm fan (from quietpc) if you
    can afford it and the motherboard you choose can fit it. Otherwise
    www.overclockers.co.uk offers a good heatsink range. www.quietpc.com
    offers.the zalman flower coolers (which I felt didn't cool that much but I
    think you can swap their 92mm fan for a 120mm fan. You should not get a fan
    noisier than 33 dBA and you should get a fan speed resistor if your
    motherboard doesn't support fan speed altering.

    Darren Wilkinson, Jul 25, 2003
  13. Hi,

    you recommend the SLK-900 (£52.88 without fan!) for a very, very, very cheap
    AMD build :p Man you must be LOADED! Also are you sure this copper-fridge
    can take a 120mm Fan? I thought it was 92mm max?. Thanks for the other
    links and stuff, I do already use OC.uk for the past three years (also
    eBuyer and Komplett) but I will check out that quietPC site. A 25db fan
    sound very, very quiet to me (maybe I need my ears waxed ;P ).

    So far in my *VALUE* build I have the retail fan as a possible option, also
    I saw a nice looking coolermaster unit (about £7.00 with fan).

    This is a very challenging thread, most here are about the very best stuff,
    but what I am trying to accomplish is a very nice office/light multimedia
    set-up, running windows XP. It takes allot of thought when you are working
    in a budget of £200-£250 to put together something that works (and looks)
    good. I am talking the ultimate *Bang for Buck* here, or as I am from the
    U.K *Punch for Pound* haha I just made that up :)

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jul 25, 2003
  14. As well as looking at Ebuyer it might be worthwhile looking at Dabs as well,
    they carry a selection of mainboards that Ebuyer doesn't carry e.g. some of
    the ASrocks (Sis 748 chipset looks interesting, cheap and supposed to be
    quite quick, especially with disk throughput). Looks like you can buy a
    Gigabyte KT600 board for £54.00 which isn't bad either.

    Both the above are up to date chipsets that will take the newer 200FSB cpus.
    On the integrated graphics chipset front most boards seem to be MicroATX
    which may or may not be a problem, not seen any reviews of the KM400 boards
    yet though (seem cheap (around £51) and support 166FSB).

    Something to watch out for on the cheaper boards is the overclocking options
    e.g. I have an Asus A7V8X which has plenty of adjustments whereas the the
    A7V8X-X is slightly more limited. I'd forget the the PC2100 if I were you
    as PC2700 is hardly any dearer (Crucial is quite cheap and readily
    available). I have a slightly older XP1800 chip whith a Thoroughbred A
    core, which I run at 10 x 166 so as sync with the 2700 memory, no problems.
    The newer cores would probably be happy at 166 too, just reduce the
    multiplier first:)

    I was just about to suggest looking at www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk but it
    looks as though they have ceased trading as of the 24th of this month, a
    shame that :-(

    Was going to say 'hope I helped' but probably caused you even more confusion
    now :eek:)

    Karl

    karl.muddiman, Jul 26, 2003
  15. Hi Karl,

    No not at all, I found your post very helpful, and I can see you understand
    the brief in hand. I never heard of ASrocks but I will scan up info on the
    Sis 748 chipset. I did read a few reviews of the KT600 chipset but I'm not
    sure what advantages this would bring over the KT400(a) on the value
    platform. it's sure to be a wee bit more expensive. I am aiming for a
    £50.00 budget on the mobo, and if I pick carefully I may be able to get
    allot of *bundled* features (Video, Sound, Lan, USB 2.0 etc). The only
    newer feature that I think is a must for the value build is USB 2.0. Thanks
    for the tip about Dabs.com, I don't think I would have ever looked there,
    about the same chance that I would check out PC-World :p. I don't see a
    problem using a MicroATX mobo, the only thing here is that I didn't find a
    cool MicroATX case yet. Also I don't think I ever heard of KM400 chipset
    but its sounds like a good price. My CPU is running at 733MHz with 512
    PC133 and my system works well for my needs (WinXP), I was visiting my
    friend earlier who has a AMD T-Bird 1300MHz and I can see how much faster
    his system is. The thought of getting a AMD T-Bred (1700+ or 1800+) running
    closer to 2GHz seems an amazing possibility for a value machine. Most
    people in the *real world* don't have machine like allot of people in this
    group, I know that allot of hardcore overclockers are reaching near-on 4GHz
    with some amazing nuclear-fusion-freezing process but these people make up
    about 3% of PC users ( a wild guess there!). I have built quite a few
    *top-spec* machines (in their day) for clients, only to see them tap into
    about 25% of its total power, Top-end 3D graphics cards just being used to
    word-process and surf the net, drives me crazy!!!!! just money down the
    drain.. I'm gonna do this and I will post back my experiences. . . .

    Thanks for all the helpful tips and links,

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jul 26, 2003
  16. I picked up 3 HS+F from the CEX bargain bucket thing for a quid each...
    one was a 40mm heatsink+fan for Socket7 CPU's (I think) - one was a 60mm
    AMD-approved heatsink+fan, one was a monster 80mm heatsink + fan.

    Not bad for a day's shopping, if I say so myself.

    Asfand Yar Qazi, Jul 27, 2003
  17. or GF4 MX440 DDR from dabs.com for £25 (search for dabsvalue in video
    cards)

    Asfand Yar Qazi, Jul 27, 2003
  18. Wayne Youngman

    rkpatt Guest

    I just put together a system using the ASUS AV78X-VX KM400 board
    worked fine out of the box . The pefromance speedwise is not what I
    had hope for but for the price I guess, it is good . IMO it beats
    most of the other low end ( eg PCCHIPS ) . You may want to search
    www.anandtech, www.tomshardware.com , www.amdmb.com for " KM400 " ,

    However, there is probably more value ( performance for the $ ) in a
    non-intergrated system like those with motherboards like the Shuttle
    AN35 and even the K7S5A ( especially if you can buy it with processor
    in a bundle at Fry's for very a low price - but of course there is a
    hitch ... they seem to have hit and miss problems )

    rkpatt, Aug 4, 2003