    from a VGA or DVI signal. Pretty much every PC LCD monitor on the planet
    does the same thing, but I am having troubling finding out how to do this.

    Any ideas or products with a similar function? Reference designs?

    None, Mar 3, 2008

  2. None

    larwe Guest

    Look inside a monitor. There are ASSPs for this - Zoran, et al.
    Typically there is also an 8051 micro to perform sync detection, run
    the OSD, and set up the controller chip. Oh, don't forget you need
    separate LVDS encoder chips as a rule.

    What you are building is an LCD monitor. It is going to be an order of
    magnitude cheaper for you to buy one than to build one. You can get
    analog-VGA LCD monitors and open-frame modules in every size
    imaginable from 4" up to ungodly sizes (37" at least).

    larwe, Mar 3, 2008

  3. None

    None Guest

    Can you recommend any open frame vendors?

    None, Mar 3, 2008
  4. None

    larwe Guest

    It depends on your quantities. If you're buying small quantities
    (<10k) then talk to the LCD distributor and ask for a "controller
    board" compatible with your chosen LCD. Be prepared to pay unhappy
    prices. But still less than it will cost you to buy the chips and
    engineer it yourself.

    You also want to look at what your Linux box can drive directly, and
    think carefully about changing boards if necessary. For example, many
    PC-104 (x86-based) SBCs have direct drive capability for parallel or
    LVDS LCDs.

    larwe, Mar 3, 2008