    evening.
    Are there any negatives to using the DVI adapter?

    Thanks to all.

    george.e.sullivan, Sep 26, 2005

  2. george.e.sullivan

    Peter Guest

    If your monitor has a digital input you definitely should use the
    DVI output on the card. Otherwise it doesn't matter which one
    you use; as a matter of fact the VGA will probably give you a
    better image with an analog monitor as the signal won't have to
    go through a converter.

    Peter, Sep 26, 2005

  3. george.e.sullivan

    DaveW Guest

    Using a DVI to DVI connection removes two signal translations from the video
    and allows a sharper crisper image. VGA is analog; your monitor is digital.
    Use the digital DVI output of the video card.

    DaveW, Sep 27, 2005
  4. george.e.sullivan

    Peter Guest

    George mentions an adapter from the monitor to the DVI output of
    his card. That means his monitor is analog not digital.

    Peter, Sep 27, 2005
  5. george.e.sullivan

    JD Guest

    The reason they include the DVI to 15 pin adapter is so you can run dual
    non-DVI displays. If you just have one monitor then plug it into the
    regular vga. Or do whatever, it makes very little difference.

    JD, Sep 27, 2005
  6. Thanks all, this is very useful. I did hook it up to the DVI port via
    the adapter last night to test it. I have a standard Dell monitor that
    is not a flat panel or flat screen, just the a regular ole display. My
    son did not know I put a new card in the system and today he said "Dad,
    for some reason everything is shiny and clear like the other computer."
    :) He plays City of Heros Online. So already I guess we can say
    there is a definite improvement.

    Again thanks to all for you insight and knowledge.

    George

    george.e.sullivan, Sep 27, 2005
  7. I have a FX5200 card that does not always display in DOS mode after a
    reset when connected through DVI. My 9200SE card does DVI correctly in
    DOS mode but not under X on Linux. The cause of this could also be my
    monitor, but I don't think that is likely. Standard VGA connection
    gives no problems at all with either card.

    My estimation is that DVI could theoretically be a faster connection
    than VGA, but the bottleneck will probably the speed of GPU on the
    videocard anyway, so I don't think that it makes much practical
    difference. VGA connection also gives more options for screen control
    in Windows (and on my monitor).

    Sjoerd Bakker, Sep 28, 2005