VI7 and SATA install problem

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Steve, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I've been running a VI7 board with a 160G PATA drive no problem for quite a
    while now. I decided to replace the 160G PATA for a 250G SATA drive (single
    system disk, RAID disabled). The BIOS can't see the SATA drive connected
    to channel 1.

    I tried booting from the XP installation CDROM and it can't see the drive
    either.

    If I enable RAID, the the drive model and size are correctly detected for
    RAID setup.

    The BIOS is at V11

    I thought the SATA drive would auto detect, but no.

    Any help with getting this installed would be gratefully appreciated.

    Best Regards

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Steve

    TomG Guest

    depending on the bios on the system, there are a number of configuration
    options that would need to be set.

    however, one approach is to leave the raid bios enabled and install the
    appropriate drivers. in my experience, the raid bios will support the
    single drive installation just fine.

    TomG, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    The BIOS is Phoenix AwardBIOS.

    I think I need to flash the latest version (18) and see what happens

    Thanks

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Steve

    Bill Coats Guest

    You need to go to the VIA (http://www.via.com.tw/en/index.jsp) web site and
    download the latest drivers for your
    mother board. It will have instructions on how to make a SATA install disk.
    You need the install disk when you boot from the XP install disk. Press the
    key(F8 I think) for installing extra drivers and then following the windows
    instrutions for what to do next. This is what I had to do to get my SATA
    drive to work. Also on the very first page at the VIA site under useful
    links is information about storage drivers.

    Bill Coats, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks Bill.