VIA Gart driver (4-in-1) causes boot error

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Fred Goldstein, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. I've been having a hard time with Windows 98SE lately... I've got an 8KTA3
    mobo with Athlon 1000 and 256MB. I couldn't keep the Matrox G400 working
    (rendering problems after a while in Mozilla and Acroread, to be specific),
    so I threw in the towel and installed an nVidia GeForce2MX that had been
    lying around. Well, Mozilla 1.4 still wasn't stable -- a resource leak
    caused the system to run out of GDI resources after a while. Not sure of
    what was actually causing the problem, I decided to update the VIA chipset
    drivers, since I hadn't put in a new set since, oh, buying the board two
    years ago. And I had done a reinstall (over the old) of Win98 last week,
    to fix a different set of problems (InCD 4 not working; InCD 3 not
    displaying test). So I downloaded the latest Hyperion 4-in-1 set and did
    the install.

    Well, now, when I boot, it stops and tells me that it's trying to load a
    program that isn't there, that is requested by either the registry or
    SYSTEM.INI: viagart.vxd. Fine, except that a shiny new copy of
    viagart.vxd is right there in c:\windows\system where, I presume, it
    belongs! There is no mention of it in SYSTEM.INI. The registry mentions
    it once (searching using regedit), in a section that references a lot of
    other vxd's. Happily, if I hit "enter", the system waits a few seconds and
    then boots anyway.

    So my questions come down to, a) Anybody know why this is happening, or
    what to do about it, and b) What does the GART driver do anyway, and do I
    need it? Thanks.

    Fred Goldstein, Sep 10, 2003