    with it? If there are problems, how difficult in the uninstall?

    TIA

    red floyd

    red floyd, Sep 1, 2003

  2. red floyd

    Joe727 Guest

    I've been installing the VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers completely for about 5
    years now. The latest are the VIA Hyperion 4.49 drivers.

    I am not sure what you mean by a "stock" Hyperion 4 in 1 filter driver. I
    get them from the VIA website.

    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

    What other VIA chipset drivers are there?

    My main PC has a KT3-Ultra2 motherboard.

    Joe

    Joe727, Sep 2, 2003

  3. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    I'm running 4.48.

    Sorry, I wasn't clear. VIA Arena comments that the IDE Miniport is not
    installed by default, but that the 4in1's use the IDE Filter driver
    instead. They also comment that the Miniport provides better
    performance. <http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=66>

    I was wondering if it was worth it to use the Miniport instead of the
    Filter; if anyone had had problems with it, and if so, how was the
    uninstall?

    Thanks,

    red floyd

    red floyd, Sep 2, 2003
  4. red floyd

    Joe727 Guest

    I now understand what you are referring to. Here's what the recommendations
    say:
    **
    It is recommended for systems with a VIA chipset and:

    Systems where the user wants better IDE performance. VIA IDE SCSI miniport
    dirver implements performance enhancement to acheive higher benchmark
    scores.

    IDE Zip drive, under all Microsoft operating systems, with a 686b
    southbridge chip

    ATA100 hard drives with Windows 2000 prior to Service pack 1

    ATA133 hard drives under Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    **
    That info is about as clear as mud.

    IIRC, the 686b southbridge chip is pretty old, so that knocks out one of the
    recommendations.

    You don't mention what Operating System you are using, but it looks like a
    limited number of Windows 2000 users with ATA 100 drives might see some
    benefit from the miniport driver.

    Since you have ATA100 drives, even if you have Windows 2000 or XP, it
    doesn't look like you'll see any benefit from the drivers.

    You might want to post your question on the VIA support forums. They have
    some very knowledgable people who post there:

    http://forums.viaarena.com/

    If you post there, please post back here with the subject title of the post.
    I am interested in see the responses as well.

    Joe

    Joe727, Sep 2, 2003
  5. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    Joe, I posted in the IDE&RAID Arena, under the topic: "via miniport driver".

    red floyd

    red floyd, Sep 2, 2003
  6. red floyd

    Joe727 Guest

    Thanks for letting me know. One thing you might want to do is post a new
    topic on that newgroup instead of piggybacking on someone else's thread. At
    first I thought I had the wrong thread, then I saw your post way down at the
    bottom.

    You really should consider starting your own thread on the VIA forums. That
    way your thread will have more visibility.

    Joe

    Joe727, Sep 2, 2003