    on the other it is connected to the Promise controller.

    My question is, is one setup "better" than the other in terms of performance,
    all other things being equal?

    Michael Meyers, May 7, 2005

  2. Michael Meyers

    Ben Pope Guest

    You tell us, you seem to have a pretty good benchmarking environment :p

    I would guess the VIA, marginally.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, May 7, 2005

  3. Sorry, I forgot to mention, my PC has an Athlon 64 3400+ and OCZ RAM, and my
    son's has an Athlon 64 2800+ and "generic" RAM, so they're not identical
    systems. But I want to maximize performance in each, hence the question about
    which controller is "better".

    Michael Meyers, May 7, 2005
  4. Michael Meyers

    Paul Guest

    There is some P.R. material here. It compares the 8237 to
    one of the Promise controllers. The claim is, the internal
    bus in the 8237 is not constrained by the PCI bus.

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/southbridge/vt8237/drivestation.jsp

    Note that accepting benchmarks from P.R. material is
    not a real good thing to do, so perhaps if you look in
    the private forums, you can get more realistic numbers.

    For example, if the PCI latency timer is cranked up on a
    motherboard, a disk controller can achieve much higher
    disk benchmarks, but with the danger of unfairness amongst
    all the PCI cards. If you are using a PCI sound card, it could
    be starved for data by the disk controller, and suffer an
    underrun. In the real world, system operation must be adjusted
    so all peripherals can operate properly, and this condition would
    not give as good a disk benchmark.

    You could test your two machines with Sisoft Sandra or Hdtach,
    to do your own benchmarking. That testing will be much more
    meaningful, since it is done on the target hardware.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 8, 2005
  5. Michael Meyers

    timmy Guest

    I had the p4p800d with the via controler and raid-0 and I was quite
    impressed with it. However, the board failed and the replacement
    P4P800e with the promise controler is currently running quite well too
    (raid-0), but it doesn't seem as fast. Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to
    benchmark the other board before returning it...

    timmy, May 8, 2005
  6. Thank you all for your input.

    Michael Meyers, May 8, 2005