VIA VT8237 SATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V4.80 can't find my third HDD!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ANTant, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,

    Ever since last night, I noticed my computer's ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard (1007
    firmware -- latest non-beta release) does not boot up properly anymore last night and
    today. When my computer boots up, I see (nice typos and spacing problems in it too :p):

    VIA VT8237 SATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V4.80

    Scan Devices,Please wait...

    HardWare Initiate failed, please check device!!!

    The Bios does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!

    After I G to continue, I am my Grub loader (Windows XP Pro. SP2 with all updates and Linux)
    for OS options (at least I know this part works). When I go to Windows, I get a black
    screen and hangs. If I go to safe mode, it gets stuck at agp440.sys part. I did notice I
    have to wait about five whole minutes for this part to time out before I see XP's splash
    screen. Obviously in Windows, I don't have my Seagate HDD (H: and I: drives).

    I have no fancy RAID setup, I think my friend set this VIA VT8237 SATA RAID up for the
    third Seagate IDE 120 GB HDD. My friend set up the hardware so I think he used this VIA
    controller to access it back in 2005. He could never get the Promise controller to work so
    he used this one. Other drives are like according to CMOS/BIOS:

    Primary Master: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M612 X806, Ultra DMA-2
    Primary Slave: Plextor CD-R PX-W1210A 1.0
    Secondary Master: Quantum FireballP LM15 A35.0700, Ultra DMA-4, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK.
    Secondary Slave: IC3L040AVER07-0 ER40A5A, Ultra DMA-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK.
    Note my old IDE/ATA setup. :)

    I also noticed that in Windows, I don't have any sounds from my Audigy 2 ZS! Device Manager
    shows no problems.

    My detailed computer specifications can be found at
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary/gaming system). I tried
    disabling SATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility so I can get into Windows faster (not wait for
    that 5 minutes black screen), but it didn't help.

    Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jun 22, 2006

  2. ANTant

    Paul Guest

    S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK.
    Try disconnecting the disk drives from the Southbridge, and see if the
    BIOS screen report changes. It could be that one of your storage devices
    is holding a signal on the cable down, and preventing the scan of what is
    on the cable. You could try removing one device at a time, or just remove
    the whole works and add them back one at a time until it fails again.

    If the error message remains, when no storage device is connected to
    the motherboard, then it could be the motherboard that is bad.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 22, 2006

  3. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Ever since last night, I noticed my computer's ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    Thanks Paul. I will investigate later since I am at work at the moment.

    ANTant, Jun 22, 2006
  4. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,
    Is it possible that IRQ was changed? Someone told me that having lots of
    hardware devices can cause IRQ conflicts.

    ANTant, Jun 22, 2006
  5. ANTant

    Rod Speed Guest

    Shouldnt have changed spontaneously.
    Yes, there are only a limited number of IRQ so they
    have to be shared with lots of hardware devices.

    Sharing usually works fine tho.

    Rod Speed, Jun 22, 2006