    What are the differences between desktop/laptop video cards?

    How easy is it to install/change laptop video cards?

    Sorry for the cluelessness and thanks for all the feedback

    Ernesto, Aug 5, 2005

  2. Ernesto

    Quaoar Guest

    No, laptop video cards are not upgradeable; there is no aftermarket in
    laptop video cards. The closest you can come to this is Sager/Alienware
    who, early this year, purported to have an upgradeable video card on one
    of their gaming laptops for which upgrades would be available Real Soon
    Now.

    Quaoar, Aug 5, 2005

  3. Ernesto

    Ernesto Guest

    there is no aftermarket in laptop video cards

    Really! Weird. I find that hard to believe. Seems like they should
    design laptops with this capability. Now I'm interested...

    Ernesto, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Ernesto

    JHEM Guest

    Not if you want to design a "thin" laptop. Most laptop video cards are
    soldered directly to the MB (as are most laptop's CPU). In order to provide
    a means to change the card, you'd need to install it in something like a ZIF
    socket, which would quadruple the space necessary to provide vertical
    clearance for the card.

    JHEM, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Ernesto

    Ernesto Guest

    Aren't ZIF sockets for desktops? Then I guess they should design a new
    kind of socket that's small, lightweight, and compact (of course this
    is going to be expensive!). I'm new to the laptop world (in case you
    haven't noticed ; ) ) It will happen eventually. I'm just
    surprised it hasn't yet.

    Ernesto, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Ernesto

    JHEM Guest

    ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets come in many different sizes and
    configurations and are not solely for use in desktops. The term ZIF simply
    refers to a type of socket that can be unlocked or opened to enable easy
    installation or removal of a device or cable.

    Some laptop manufacturers already use a micro-ZIF socket for the CPU on
    their systems and almost all laptops have them for connecting display
    cables, keyboards, etc.

    The trend in laptops today is towards smaller, lighter, thinner and I
    sincerely doubt we'll see changeable video cards becoming prevalent any time
    in the near future.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Ernesto

    Ernesto Guest

    Thanks for your feedback and insight. I agree that the trend is
    towards smaller, lighter, and thinner for many users. But just
    discussing this topic on different forums today leads me to believe
    that there is a huge market for changeable video cards in the laptop
    market. There are tons of people who want this, (namely in the gaming
    market). Don't see it becoming prevalent either, but it will
    eventually happen. As laptops get smaller, don't the sizes of video
    cards, semi-conductor technology, every other relevant technology?

    Ernesto, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Ernesto

    JHEM Guest

    In general, gaming on laptops sucks.

    Even those laptops that are specifically built for the gaming market
    (Alienware, etc.) are easily outstripped by a 14YO and his home-built
    desktop.

    What you _will_ see in the near future are smaller and smaller desktops
    built around the PentiumM CPU and sporting bleeding-edge video cards for the
    gamers.

    They'll sell for less than half of a comparable laptop!

    JHEM, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Now why would you say that? The trend is to incorporate more and more
    features directly into the mainboard, not to more flexibility in
    laptops.
    I'm not.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Aug 5, 2005
  10. Ernesto

    J. Clarke Guest

    Laptops get smaller because everything else gets smaller.

    I doubt you are going to see upgradeable video on laptops--you can buy
    laptops with very powerful processors and video, for a high price and at
    the cost of battery life--they will continue to be available. There is no
    standard for video processors--to be upgradeable there would have to be a
    separate video board, not just a chip, and the board would have to be
    standardized in size, shape, mounting holes, socket, power connections, and
    position of the chip so that the chip could be aligned with whatever
    cooling device was installed in the laptop. This would require the
    creation of a standard by the laptop manufacturers and the video board
    manufacturers, and I see no evidence that either group has the slightest
    interest in creating such a standard.

    Alternative, ATI and nvidia would have to get together and decide on a
    pinout and form factor for laptop video chips, and quite frankly, it is
    more likely that the sun will rise in the west.

    J. Clarke, Aug 5, 2005