Video Card/Dual Monitor Restrictions on Inspirion 530, Vostro 200/400, Optiplex 755

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Newby McNewbster, May 24, 2008.

  1. Newby McNewbster

    Newby McNewbster

    Joined:
    May 24, 2008
    I was about to buy a Dell computer, but I want to run dual monitors. Maybe 22 inch digital flat screen monitors?

    However, it seems like the video cards are pretty bargain basement. I read reviews on one of the cards, and it sounds like it will do a poor job running dual monitors.

    At Frys.com or elsewhere, one can always get a much better card for around $50 or so.

    HOWEVER...these cards require usually at least a 400 watt power supply. All the Dells come in around 300 watts or so.

    Would it be okay to install a Diamond Viper Radeon HD 2600 XT on a Dell, if the specs on the 2600 XT say one needs a 400 watt power supply?

    Thanks for any input on this!

    BTW, would a 256MB ATI Radeon 2400 XT run two 22 inch digital monitors well? I'm not a gamer. Just wanting to increase my productivity in my business by using two monitors at the same time.

    Last edited: May 24, 2008
    Newby McNewbster, May 24, 2008