Video card not recognized

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Advice needed: The OS - or maybe my motherboard hardware - doesn't identify the display adapter I have installed. So, I can't install drivers for that display adapter. Windows only says I have a "Standard PCI bus VGA adapter" installed. Hardware Manager doesn't have the name of the video card there like it used to.

    So, when I try to install the driver for the adapter, the setup program says something like "there is no NVIDIA chip present...cannot install driver". I tried another card, an ATI card, and got a similar message when I tried to install the ATI driver. I have verified the exact identity of the display adapters I'm trying to install. Also, I have verified that I am using the correct driver software for the given display adapter.

    Again - I can boot into 16-color VGA mode with any display adapter I install. But, the drivers for the respective adapter won't install because the driver setup program says it can't find that adapter on my system. Further, I am certain of the identity of the adapters I try because of the very first splash screen that comes up from diaplay adapter's BIOS on boot-up.

    Is there a motherboard BIOS setting I'm missing? Also, I have the latest motherboard BIOS installed.

    I am a moderately advanced computer user (I've built many systems) and am sure that all the basics are right.

    I have an ASUS P4P800 SE motherboard and Windows 98 SE. (I have to keep using the 98SE for now. I may not go to XP.)

    Any advice?

    WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Dec 18, 2006