Video Card Recommendation/TV Tuner Recommendation for M2N32-SLI DELUXE

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Joe, May 19, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I used to build computers often but haven't in years, and the technology has
    changed so much I'm almost tempted to just buy one from a vendor. However, I
    want to give it a try.

    I am looking at buying the below board from MWAVE.COM with 2GB of RAM. I
    don't play games. Most of what I'll be doing is is using office/web
    browsing, and making pdf documents from my multi function device.

    I'm also interested in buying a tv tuner too.. I want to make sure I buy
    items that are compatible. Any suggestions on a particular video card?

    Also, is it safe to assume the MSN32-SLI Deluxe has wireless networking
    built into the motherboard?

    ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE nVIDIA nFORCE 590SLI CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM
    FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2,RAID,DUAL
    LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:AMD - SOCKET AM2)
    AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5200+ EE - WINDSOR

    Joe, May 19, 2007

  2. Joe

    Stephen Guest

    The wireless is actually a card that mounts on the rear usb header and
    the antenna connection sticks out of the rear i/o panel.
    I've been using a DVico FusionHDTV card in mine with XP.

    Stephen

    Stephen, May 22, 2007

  3. Joe

    geoff Guest

    I've been using a DVico FusionHDTV card in mine with XP.

    Those seem like nice cards, however, the problem is the only input with all
    HDTV cards is a cable jack. That means the cable must go from the wall to
    the card. That also means that you lose many of the cable services and some
    channels that are encoded.

    I would be much happier if there were a way to go from the wall to the cable
    box, then from the cable box to the tv card.

    -g

    geoff, May 23, 2007
  4. Joe

    Stephen Guest

    Then connect it after the cable box like a tv. Of course any channels
    decoded by the cable box will be in SD. Currently no HDTV or SDTV
    card can decrypt the encoded channels.

    I have an antenna outside pointing to get the local channels. Here in
    Brevard county Florida, I just point it to Christmas to get them all.

    Stephen

    Stephen, May 23, 2007
  5. Joe

    geoff Guest

    T-W here has two boxes, one for SD and one for HD. For SD, it is not a
    problem to go from the wall to the cable box, and the cable box to the tv
    card.

    However, for HDTV, the cable box only has dvi (and an audio connector) and
    'yPbPr' (requires three cables) as outputs. So, there is no way to go from
    the back of an HD cable box to an HD TV card.

    -g

    geoff, May 23, 2007
  6. Joe

    Stephen Guest

    None that I've found. All the hdtv cards with component video have
    them as outputs only.

    Stephen

    Stephen, May 24, 2007
  7. Joe

    Paul Guest

    Paul, May 24, 2007
  8. Joe

    geoff Guest

    I prefer dvi (or whatever they use in the future) since it is digital. With
    digital, the numbers representing the picture go to the TV.

    'yPbPr' is digital to analog then back to digital if you have an LCD.

    -g

    geoff, May 25, 2007